Monday, May 09, 2005

love poems from god

Last June I picked up Love Poems from God at the bookstore on the corner near my office. It was an impulse buy, one of those impulses that turns out to be close to life saving. It helped me make it thru that terrible summer, went to witchcamp with me, and even still, like my well thumbed Mary Oliver collection of poetry, it tends to fall open to just the right poem. This is my favorite of the moment:

IT’S RIGGED

It’s rigged – everything, in your favor.

So there is nothing to worry about

Is there some position you want,

some office, some acclaim, some award, some con, some lover,

maybe two, maybe three, maybe four – all at once,

maybe a relationship

with

God?

I know there is a gold mine in you, when you find it

the wonderment of the earth’s gifts you will lay

aside as naturally as does

a child a

doll

But, dear, how sweet you look to me kissing the unreal;

comfort, fill yourself in any way possible – do that until

you ache, until you ache,

then come to me

again

Rumi

No comments: