Friday, January 27, 2006

letting go




As Brigid approaches, I take the poetry books off the bookshelves and strew them around the house. The house altar gets its fair share, and there’s a stack of books in arm’s reach from every vantage point in the living room. On my bedside table I keep my current favorites. As Reya points out, poetry IS that place between forge and well, the exhale and the inhale, giving word to the exquisite and horrifying beauty that is life. At my office, I always have a stack of poetry books next to my chair, with Mary Oliver and Rumi being the constants. Sometimes, the best therapeutic intervention is a poem.

For the past year or so, I’ve found myself returning again and again to Mary Oliver’s Blackwater Woods. Yesterday, I returned for another visit.


In Blackwater Woods

Look, the trees
are turning
their own bodies
into pillars

of light,
are giving off the rich
fragrance of cinnamon
and fulfillment,

the long tapers
of cattails
are bursting and floating away over
the blue shoulders

of the ponds,
and every pond,
no matter what its
name is, is

nameless now.
Every year
everything
I have ever learned

in my lifetime
leads back to this: the fires
and the black river of loss
whose other side

is salvation,
whose meaning
none of us will ever know.
To live in this world

you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it

against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

As a therapist, I’ve noted that most of my clients have trouble with at least one of the three things. Some can’t love what is mortal, some can’t hold on to it when things get rough, and some can’t let it go, even when it’s become a stone around the neck, taking them down. For me, it’s the letting go that’s been so problematic, that I’m still in process of learning.

Yesterday, I got to wondering on which of these things is the place between, if these three things relate to the breath. I think they do relate. Holding on is the inhale, letting go is the exhale, and that place between the breaths is the simple act of loving what is mortal. What a mistake to think that the letting go means no longer loving! The loving always sits there, spacious between the holding on and letting go. Here at Brigid, I’m slowing down and trying on being in that place, the pure loving, even as I let go. It’s worth a try!

3 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

I've been thinking about your beautiful post, Deborah. I think breathing, the in/out and the little space between, is how to love what's mortal. Holding on too long would be like taking a deep breath in and then holding it until you turn blue.

Short, shallow breathing, what my teacher used to call "sipping the air" might be that reluctance to love what's mortal.

I love you, oh fabulous mortal that you are. I love you so much!

deborahoak said...

yes... and, I keep thinking of how our bodies/spirits work best when all are in balance...and if I make that moment between the inhale and exhale last as long as each, I can remember there is a point between letting go and holding on where I can simply love.

love you,
d.

Anonymous said...

That's one amazingly beautiful poem. I hadn't come across it before. Rumi is a different matter.

I feel a need to read some more poetry today having spent the weekend coding my new blog until I feared my eyes would turn square, my brain start running Windows XP and my feet turn into hard drives. I recently picked up a hardback copy of Ted Hughes' 'Birthday Letters' in a sale the bookshop in Hebden Bridge was having. I've just finished reading 'Rapture' by Carol Ann Duffy. I think I've mentioned before, that one would appeal to you greatly. I know it. Try to grab a copy if it's been published over there yet. xx