Monday, January 16, 2006

justice delayed is justice denied

It’s Martin Luther King’s birthday. I spent the evening at a Youth Speaks Poetry Slam. Youth Speaks is a remarkable organization that’s mobilized young people to write poetry. My goddess daughter Hazel is in it, and my young friend Susanna, who in 9th grade took an elements of magic class from me and rapidly became extended family. It’s an amazing group of kids from both privilege and poverty, bonded in their belief in the power of the spoken word, and you can feel the magic as soon as the first kid gets up. Poems about MLK, about first love, about striving to be “cool”, about being of mixed race, about being queer, about purely being, all had a place here. “Clap it up!” was yelled after each poet, all getting a loud round of applause, all praised for their bravery and their story. The guy who started this is one of those heroes of the Aquarian age, not taking center stage, but passing the power and glory all around. I was in tears less than a minute into it.

It was a great thing to do today. Earlier in the day, I had one of those conversations that use to unhinge me for days, but today, having dropped my role as Lucifer, it was disturbing, but not disabling. In fact, the upshot of the conversation pointed to a crack in the storyline, a shake-up in roles. One of the members of the selection committee for California Witchcamp called to talk to me about my response to a e-mail I’d been sent thanking me for applying, telling me to apply again, and letting me know that preference was given to those who teach in their home communities. Jeez. I had e-mailed back suggesting that honesty might be a better policy, and the sooner there was acknowledgement that I and a sizable group of others who do teach in our home community were blacklisted from teaching at this camp, the sooner the possibility of some healing could start. Old habits die hard.

The conversation started with the usual vexing Reclaiming doublespeak. I wasn’t picked because I’m so hard to work with, such a troublemaker, and there’s no way I’d be welcomed at a camp I say I’m blacklisted from. Whew! Now that last one is really tricky! It ended with recognition that there is a structural problem with California camp, and even acknowledgment that I’ve played a Cassandra role in the community. I said it was a little more like Lucifer, and to spread the word that Cassandra or Lucifer, that role was open to a new taker. As we talked, I felt the comfort of the detachment that’s been growing for over a year or so. Free at last! The selection committee member grudgedly admitted that what has gone down is unjust, that I’ve been scapegoated for speaking what so many others also believe but won't say publicly. She spoke of things taking time, of fear of open conflict tearing the community apart. That happened a long time back. It’s a done deal.

How refreshing to end the day in a room full of young people encouraged to tell the truth about their lives, to speak out with passion, to each be applauded for their story, in all their exquisite variations. If I had a dream, this would be it. Clap it up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This tale has ripples for me, as in echoes - stones being thrown into a pond only to sink deep while the water itself extends outwards in waves.

Last week I went to a pagan moot. I had grown tired of working solitary all the time since my own clash with and grievance against Avalon Witchcamp, thinking it was time I got 'out there' and made new friends in the Craft, opened up to new possibilities after too many months seeking to heal wounds inflicted.

I met an absolutely delightful woman new to pagan circles, just reaching out to discover what's right for her. She told me she was hoping to book soon for the very same Witchcamp I remain in dispute with and, at this time, firmly set against. I was torn, and said so. I told her of my wonderful 2004 experiences in some detail over several drinks, the moot going on well into the night, but I said in all honesty I had to tell her of my 2005 experiences which were less than stellar. It felt so odd, to be talking of Brigid's determined and clear blessing in one year, the amazing things which followed on from that, and then to talk of spiritual careerists backstabbing me, telling lies, turning their backs in hostility which was and remains completely at odds with Reclaiming Feri principles - at least, as I understand them in my admittedly relatively untutored, limited way.

I think I managed to be honest, to be as balanced as I could be - saying 'it's all a matter of perspective' through, I must admit, gritted teeth - but the process of talking it through with her, the good and the bad, did something mysterious and wonderful. Since then, I have felt much better and less... obstructed at times. Honesty helps a person to detach, to move on. I think that is reflected in what you wrote here.

That said, I will always feel I was treated unjustly but at least I'm recognising such hurts take a long, long time to heal and get over. I am getting there, slowly. The last thing I needed was to walk away from that moot thinking I hadn't presented as balanced a picture as I could muster.

I had an email from Eve, saying she is heading for San Fran and hoped to meet you asking if I 'would mind' if she did. How odd it is that people can think you might turn against a belief system, an entire group of people, because one, two, three, four or more people within it caused you pain and acted unfairly towards you! Of course we are tribal, communal creatures; but we should not be bound by those tribes, those communities, to the extent that we blind ourselves to behaving badly - or see others in groups rather than as individuals, or, as individuals who set themselves against a group and are therefore in any way 'fair game'. It is not so. x

Anonymous said...

And poetry - well, from my unrepentantly biased perspective, poetry of conviction, filled with vital energy, always fires the soul and fills the heart with love! x