Friday, March 11, 2005

The heat is on

It is nearing dusk here in this hilly city on the edge of the pacific. The fruit trees are in bloom, jasmine is flowering, and it looks like it will be one of those unusual San Francisco nights where the dark still holds the heat of the sun. It was downright hot today, and no fog is creeping over twin peaks. It will be a fragrant warm night, a night for walking around and taking in the beauty of this psychic seaport. I need to soak up some beauty, and it looks like the dark will be rich with it.

Today in the heat, I found myself thinking about Lucifer, and the incredible power of words, of names, of language. I've spent years reclaiming the word "witch". Back in my early twenties I never could say it without a big reaction, and of course, the inevitable questions about Satan worship. In the last couple of years I've noticed that it no longer seems to be such a big deal... a lot of times not an eye is blinked, and now questions about black magic and Satan are an aberration. It's so accepted that for the past several year I have donated an afternoon teaching children magic for my son's school auction, and this teaching of witchcraft to children draws high bids.

It is vexing that it would be at this moment in time, when I no longer commonly feel in a defensive position in regards to my spirituality, that one of my dear friends and coven sisters would decide she wants to do an indwelling of Lucifer. Well, that's not exactly fair. The indwelling was knocked down to an overshadowing, and now it's an alliance. I love her dearly. I know that her intentions are good, and that when she speaks of Lucifer she is speaking of something she perceives as beautiful and full of love and light. Nevertheless, everytime I roll this name around on my tongue, or even write it here, what immediately gets called up for me is Lucifer in his darker aspects - and I know that I can't be associated with this. I'm against this rite she has planned for so many reasons, but the most pragmatic reason is that I've spent the majority of my life defending the word witch, telling people it has nothing to do with Satan, trying to breath beauty and integrity into a word that historically calls up ugliness and a meanness of spirit. I, along with so many others, have been incredibly successful at this venture, and we now wear this moniker with more ease, not constantly having to defend ourselves. . I have absolutely no interest in now venturing to do public relatations work to reclaim the positve aspects of the name Lucifer. It would be a hellish endeavor.

So, I will walk the streets of this city, trusting that there is indeed magic in the night, and that something beautiful will come out of what now feels dark and devilish. God/dess help us, the heat really is on now!

No comments: