Sunday, April 20, 2008

unfettered and alive

We are now in Paris and its April and there are cherry- or are they chestnut? - trees in bloom everywhere and there is intermittent rain, but not in a cold way, just enough to give it that classic Parisian atmosphere and not enough to keep us indoors.

My girlfriend has shown a knack for renting perfect apartments in just the right place. In Barcelona we were in the old gothic quarter, on a narrow alley in the midst of a maze of streets only open to foot traffic. Here in Paris, we are up three – or is it four? – flights of ancient stairs in a sweet apartment above the Rue des Rivoli, a few blocks from the Seine.

Our apartment overlooks an old courtyard, and couldn’t be lovelier except for the fact that it’s about half the price of any “moderate” hotel. Thank the Goddess for Craigslist and a savvy girlfriend. Oh, and by the way, the dollar is at an all time low. There will be no shopping sprees on this trip. The treasures we will be bringing home will be the memories.

We are in the Marais, the old Jewish district. It was here that many Parisian Jews were rounded up and sent off to Auschwitz. The Jewish delicatessens and synagogues are back, amidst the high class boutiques. Although most delis were closed for Passover, Finkelsztajns was open. At our small table on Rue de Rosiers, amidst throngs of shoppers, we celebrated freedom from slavery and honored the turning of history with some gefilte fish, chopped liver and matzo. The Marais is now not only the Jewish district, but queer as well. Orthodox men in black hats walk in peace amongst men in the latest fashion holding hands. And us, too, of course! We toasted with our glasses of water and gave thanks that being a queer Pagan and a Jew, we feel and are so free.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for your words that gave me Paris as well as gay Paree...

Mercury Redbone said...

Assuming there's not an embedded joke I'm missing on cherry v. chestnut:

The leaves are similar, but Cherry has a small, simple pink or white flowers. Chestnut has a long, noxious-smelling golden tassel.

Mercury Redbone said...

Catkin--that's the word I was forgetting. Cherry has flowers, Chestnut has catkins.

deborahoak said...

thanks, copper! they must be cherries! i was thrown off because of the song - April in Paris:

I never knew the charm of spring
I never met it face to face
I never new my heart could sing
I never missed a warm embrace

Till april in paris, chestnuts in blossom
Holiday tables under the trees
April in paris, this is a feeling
That no one can ever reprise

I never knew the charm of spring
I never met it face to face
I never new my heart could sing
I never missed a warm embrace

Till april in paris
Whom can I run to
What have you done to my heart?

Kat said...

Bonjour, your trip is sounding lovely so far...

Hope you are taking lots of pictures!

Anonymous said...

I love Paris soooo much! Glad to be there vicariously via your blog.