Tuesday, April 01, 2008

cauldron of plenty

It’s such a mystery, the natural ability that some of us have for certain things. Some of us are great at getting parking spots; others always seem to be able to intuit which long line will move the fastest. I seem to have a knack at drawing money to ventures I am involved in.

Throughout the years, I’d never describe myself as a competent fund raiser. I’m not well organized enough for that title and since balancing my own check-book remains challenging, I’d never volunteer to raise, manage or direct funds outside my own. Plus, I am deficient in the shmooze factor which allows some people to easily hit up other people for money for causes they believe in.

Yet, it is clear I have a talent for throwing parties that successfully benefit things that I support. The Dinner With the Dead that I’ve been part of at Samhain always bring in just enough to fund whatever project is being benefited. Last year we were able to give a nice amount towards the care of Cora Anderson while also having enough left over to send me as a spoke to the Witchcamp Council. Years back, we raised a stunning amount which well funded our magical actions at the WTO in Seattle. The party I threw to raise money for my friend Jeremy’s cancer treatments exceeded expectations for such a simple affair. The amount of money raised at all of these events seems magical. And that’s because it is.

Sunday I hosted a “Divine Day of Divination” to benefit and seed the fall equinox restorative retreat I am part of creating - The Fool’s Journey”. My partner and I cleaned the house thoroughly and created four “stations” where psychic readings, tarot and astrological charts could be read. We asked for a donation of $1 -2 a minute, and cash and checks were deposited in my money cauldron. As guests arrived, the house became a kind of psychic brothel, with folks mingling amongst us until they picked the reader they felt drawn to. Several had a go with more than one of us, and a great day was had by all. The cauldron was full, and we have a sturdy sum with which to fund our endeavor.

The trick, I think, is the money cauldron. I’ve mindfully charged it up to not only draw money, but to send it back. Anyone who throws money can expect to have it returned three-fold. It is not only a container for donations, it is an interactive spell. As the event goes on, people can see the money grow and there becomes a kind of group investment in the pot teeming. So far, the pot has always stirred up a surprise upon the counting of the money. My money cauldron works magic, of that I am sure.

It also helps to have generous and loving friends.

Of that, I certainly have a great knack.


8 comments:

Linda W said...

I've just found your blog and am very glad that I did. I understand about the money thing. I always have enough, more than enough actually, to live quite comfortably and do a lot of wonderful things. It really is about flow, I think - the Creative Flow of the Universe.

Angela Raincatcher said...

Thank you for sharing this idea. I'm just starting a fundraising campaign (http://charity.becomingdc.org) to benefit children in Nigeria who have been accused of witchcraft and abandoned by their family and community. Having a party and using the money caldron is one more thing I can do, and encourage others to do, to help.

Kat said...

Hey Oak, will you please put that last check I wrote you into your cauldron.

he he

*hugs*

Mercury Redbone said...

Money is as foreign to me as calculus or Mandarin, and I generally don't have a clue about how to work it (I have a strong interest in what I imagine as "security," i.e., ownership of property, but otherwise what I think is a dinterest in money per se (not an aversion, though I do have aversion to many processes of acquisition, both in terms of work that doesn't spring from desire and in terms of what's typical acquisition mode in this culture).

The concepts in this post, while perhaps familiar to many, come as a encouraging revelation to me! Thanks.

Robert said...

Deborah,
I've been involved in planning a fairly wide array of events, but fundraising has never been my forte, so I've left that apart to others.

I'm very interested in your Caudron of Plenty practics. How would I go about about 'charging up' such a cauldron? Do you use a specific ritual? Thanks --

Robert

knittingdragonflies said...

I have been reading your blog for a while, It is lovely.
Thanks
Vicki

Shakti said...

A while back a group of us worked a "prosperity spell". Some of the magical work included raising our own consciousness. We wrote prosperity spells on all of the paper money that came into our hands. The spells included wishes for ourselves, for our communities, cities, the world...there were no limits.

It was exhilarating to know that our spells benefited us, and also each person whose hands touched the money.

Thinking about it has made me consider re-doing this spell....

Anonymous said...

What an amazing thing! You've inspired me as always, thank you! xx