Monday, September 17, 2007

a surprising balance

During my high school and college years, I never once attended a football game. Or any other kind of ball game. So, it's weird and kind of unsettling to be now going weekly to watch my son play for his Catholic high school. This equinox weekend will find me in the stands, rooting for his team and mulling the irony of balance in the universe.


As it turns out, he's as much a raging individual as I am, and just as rebellious a teenager. What better way to rebel when you have a anarchist, queer mother who also happens to be a witch than to go to Catholic school and play football? I thought it might be a phase, but now that he's a starting quarter back, I'm realizing that there's a level of devotion to this that I probably won't see wane for quite awhile. I'm realizing too that my rebellion stuck. The values and interests that my parents found so confounding turned out to suit me, and they have shaped who I have become. Maybe, just maybe, this love of sports will continue to suit my son and his life too is being shaped by what his mother finds so challenging. His long time dream of being a professional ball player still shimmers, but now he's added that he wants to go to a university with a program on sports management. This equinox I'm working with acceptance and trying to smile about it.

He and his best friend since preschool are on the same team together. They are the "Fighting Irish". How bizarre is that? Funny how I'd be more comfortable if he was covered with woad
with his hair spiked with lime. Or would I? I continue to puzzle over the way they are devoted to "toughening up", and how transformed they are in their pads and helmets. I faced it when he was about three that my young feminist beliefs that the difference between the sexes were a result of socialization were dead wrong. Boys actually for the most part are different from girls. And boy, did I get a boy.

It's downright disturbing watching my son and his friend get tackled, and I find myself unsettled by the roars of delight from the crowd when one of them trounces or runs over someone else. The San Francisco Chronicle just ran a story about the concerns of parents over the possibility of their kids getting hurt playing football. No shit. It worries me.

My son says he knows the risks, but playing is important to him. I've seen him become more confident and his ease on the field is noticeable, even to me, who doesn't understand much of anything that is going on out there. I've brought him up to trust his intuition, and to follow it. I had no idea it would take him to Catholic school, but damn, it actually appears to be the right place for him. And the football field does too. Grudgingly, I am learning to respect his choices.

I'm trying to embrace the experience of the sitting in the bleachers in the autumn air amidst other parents and a multitude of teenagers, many wearing the school colors. The girls paint the numbers of boys they like on their face. My son and his best friend seem to be well represented. I'm considering buying a windbreaker myself with the words - "The Fighting Irish" scrolled across the back.

This weekend there will be an equinox ritual in Golden Gate Park. I will be in the stands at the rival school, Saint Ignatius, cheering my son on. There is balance to everything, and many times that balance can come as a complete surprise. I'm choosing this equinox to embrace the mystery of this.

10 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Blessings on your time of balance!
We've got one too of course, just a day before the Heritage Day public holiday.
That windbreaker with the "Fighting Irish" on the back?
I'd do it.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Unknown said...

I love everything about this post! Thank goodness for his display and all the humor and truth that exisits in rebllion!

Kat said...

Hmn, seems we have a lot in common. My oldest daughter also attends Catholic school, much to my chagrine...she opted to dump me and my hippy dippy sustainable living type off the grid life for her Dad's house in town where she can walk to Starbuck's. And she plays soccer all. year. round.

And it only took a year of therapy to be Ok with it. he he

Great post. See you Friday.

Kat

PS Go Irish! : )

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, yes you definitely have some things to learn about football. First, quarterback is all one word. After growing up in a family where my parents had season tickets to the Raiders games every year, I can definitely hold my own in the stands. Tell Casey I really want to come down for one of his games--it will be great fun!

And who knows where this might lead? Strange bobble-headed dolls in your car? Superbowl parties in front of the TV? You do know that the Superbowl takes place perilously close to Brigid, didn't you? Talk about the fightin' Irish...

Jennifer said...

Great post. I don't think it's strange at all that he is playing football at a Catholic school though your background and likes are completely different. You raise your children with your interests, values, etc. and hopefully they end up taking some of it. My 17 year old son is sweet as anything and has great morals but is so different from me politically. Where did he get that from? - oh, yes, his father :( . Sounds like your son is doing great and it sounds like you are quite proud of him.

Faerose said...

ooo yes get the windbreaker :)

lovely post.

ps. could you send me your email addy - i've lost it

Anonymous said...

I too got one of those BOY IS HE A BOY kiddos....and it was a shock to me as a young feminist (who'd been raising a girl first).

My guy was soccer/track/karate not football (ended varsity in high school)......and now that he's in college, the "jock" aspect has calmed down.

After spending close to 12 years watching sports......yah know what? I kinda miss it.

who'd a thunk? Nothing like raising them to follow their intuition.............

Hawk

Anonymous said...

I have never grasped football over here - or as you Americans know it, soccer - let alone American Football.

I've always thought the outfits worn were quite interesting! :-)

I thought of you last weekend. We went to a neighbour's birthday party and she and her girlfriend were dressed up in 70s gear. The birthday girl was resplendent in Elvis garb, all white and spangly, and it turns out she is a massive fan. She even sang a few numbers!

The countdown to the closing of entries for The 2nd Annual Spicy Cauldron Awards has begun. Have you got your creative take on the word 'cauldron' ready yet? It's open to anyone and is just a bit of fun intended to promote blogs and good writing/photography/graphic art.

Last year's winners can be found here.

For those who may well not know, Oak was the winner last year with a most excellent blog entry! x

Anonymous said...

The twins are only 16 months old and Lucien and Sofia are already displaying markedly different ways of being. Lucien is such a boy! He chases balls with single minded determination and is more likely to use force than finesse. Sofia will often manipulate and use objects in unusual ways. She's more likely to pat Lucien's back to comfort him when he cries.

Pam and I aren't big on traditional gender roles, so it's fascinating to see how differently the babes are developing.

Frankly, I'm terrified. We're tempted to move into a trailer, buy a pickup truck with a gun rack and join the local evangelical church and the republican party. Just so when the little tikes rebel they head the other way.

;-)

Love,

Wolf

Nulaanne said...

Hi don't worry about diffrences. My son plays on the golf team goes to a nondenominational Christian school, I am a gay witch. Go figure. I do know on thing that he and I have in common we both cannot spell. Gota love it.