Thursday, September 06, 2007

Follow the Money




A week ago I stood before this accounting of what it takes to put on the witchcamp I was teaching at and found myself uncontrollably crying. The financial report had been casually taped up on the side of the dining hall by an organizer. There had been no fanfare, no ritual around it, and no hubbub (other than my crying). There were some questions and comments by those who looked at it, but all in all it was a very low key event. Some revolutions barely get noticed by the time they fully happen.

It's a revolution that has been fermenting for years. I've played a primary part in it and because of the part I've played, I've also paid. Dearly. If anyone eventually does write a history of Reclaiming, odds are this revolution will not be recorded, or if the shift in witchcamp culture and structure does get noted, credit will probably go to those who fought it the most. Such is the nature of history.

Credit, as it turns out, is not the most important thing, at least to me. What is important is that things are shifting radically, that we are finally in the greater part of Reclaiming putting our money where our mouth and magic is. To do magic that invokes creating a culture of beauty, balance and delight calls for us to be accountable and transparent financially, and to create structures that mirror the world we want to call into being.

BC witchcamp is the longest running Reclaiming witchcamp. This year was it's twentieth anniversary. It began as a part of the production business of one woman, Pat Hogan, who graciously turned if over when the community was ready for it to be put on collectively. It was also the first camp to publicly announce that it was doing away with the old pay scale and paying teachers equally.

I was sent this photo of the financial report yesterday. Once again, looking at it, I cried. The change has happened. For the past five years I've taught at camps where there is an understanding that the way we are structured affects the magic we make. Avalon(spring), Spiralheart, and BCWC are all committed to accountability and to working in accordance to the Principles of Unity. They are all non-profit ventures and all pay teachers equally. At BC witchcamp, looking at this financial report, I fully took in how widespread the change has been, how different witchcamps have become from ten years back. I choose to believe it makes the magic we do all the more potent, as the structure of most camps support and mirror the kind of world we are invoking.

The only hold-out, as far as I know, sadly continues to be my "home" camp, California.

Someday, and may it be soon, a financial report might be accessible to the community there as well. Someday, and may it be soon, there might be revolving leadership in organizing the camp, and the one paid producer will turn it over to the community.

Maybe it will never happen, but I bet it will. Seeing that financial report makes me believe that just about anything is possible. And that makes me cry.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to BC camp for their accountability. However, I think the revolution will be a more complete one when all teachers includes student teachers as well. Especially given the fact that many student teachers (and I include myself here), have equal experience to, and do just as much work as many "full" teachers.
At this point I know of only one camp, Spiral Heart that endorses a policy of compensating student teachers.

deborahoak said...

yes, that is right! And I'm proud that I was on the teaching team which did away with this distinction last year. The results were fantastic. We wrote a letter to the whole community about it, and although it was met with the usual Reclaiming resounding silence, my guess is it's a matter of time until this revolution takes hold as well. Maybe next year at BC?

Zoe said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I almost cried myself.

My first teaching experience was at Dreamroads the first year, and all teachers - including student teachers - were paid equally. I really appreciated feeling that my work and time was valued. It was a real challenge for me to leave there and do my second year at a camp that didn't pay student teachers. My third was at Vermont, and they do pay student teachers on a scale depending on the number of years they've taught - it not nearly as much as full teachers, though.

Zoe Soulspirals
Ithaca, NY
http://www.soulspirals.net

Kat said...

It's amazing how much time and energy it takes to bring Camp together. I would love to attend BC or any other camp besides NorCal sometime!

Can you contact me re: counseling?

sun(underscore)katAThotmailDOTcom

Thanks and blessings,

Kat

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post buddy! It seems like letting go of shame and secrets about money is slow and powerful work...i'm for it!

Risky Gal said...

Yay for accountability! If only California Camp would get on board. :( Thanks for working on this. It makes me feel better.