Friday, December 02, 2005

It's witchcraft


As I sat with a client today, my mind kept drifting to my friend Lee Ann. I knew it wasn’t anything my client was saying, and it wasn’t that I was bored. There was a tug on the line that connects us. I felt the tug, and I worked to re-focus on the man in front of me, who was in the throes of a career crisis. He needed my full attention, and during that hour, I struggled diligently to stay with him, but my mind kept wandering back to Lee Ann. She was on my mind.

After the session was done, I dialed her number in Idaho. She answered, and her voice was shaky. Max, her husband for some thirty years, had died within the past hour. He died at home, where he had been battling cancer for the past few months. She kept exclaiming “Why did you call? How did you know?” Both in tears, we marveled at the miracle of our connection, at the mystery of love. We don’t talk often, sometimes not for years, but when we do connect it is uncannily at the right moment. This was one of those moments.

In the midst of the tears, Lee Ann laughed. “You really are a witch!” she said. Even now, the remembrance of those words makes me smile. Indeed, I am a witch. More and more, this being a witch has little to do with words of power, with the notion of sorcery or manipulating the elements to do my will. Being a witch to me means listening to my intuition, it means paying attention to what tugs at me, it means making a call to an old friend when I keep thinking of them. One often touted definition of magic is the art of changing consciousness at will. This is a good definition, certainly. As a therapist, I employ this kind of magic all the time with clients, invoking with them the will to change, even if the change is to accept what is. But magic is more than using our will to change our consciousness. It’s willing ourselves to simply be conscious. I find much magic occurs in the simple act of paying attention, of listening to what we commonly call our intuition, of following where this leads, of attempting this with an open heart and mind, of not letting our will drive the bus, but our attention.

Today the storm of the last few days abated, leaving the city awash with light, the air clean and crisp. Lee Ann is grieving Max, the great love of her life. On the phone, amidst the tears, she told me how grateful she felt for having had Max in her life. I too, feel grateful for their great love and to the mystery of our interconnectiveness. I send out my attention, my awareness to Lee-Ann. This attention, this awareness, is the stuff love is made from. It’s magic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has to be one of the most impactful, insightful and poignant pieces of writing you've ever posted to your blog, at least to my mind. As always, it is an honest communication from the heart and as such valued greatly.

Writing like this refreshes my spirit and motivates me to continue in my daily practice, at a time when it has become a lot more challenging but at the same time, it seems, far more revealing of my own mettle, as it were.

It's in naked honesty that magick can be wrought effectively and with visible, tangible beauty as a consequence. With a combination of magickal practice and courageous honesty, life matters are brought into sharper focus. The gentle intermingling of love and magick with a commitment to humanity, and Spirit, brings so many gifts.

Thank you once again for sharing.

I miss your teaching but often think of you when I glance up at the glass mosaic on the wall above my desk. I took the leap, after all, and knew the arms that caught me were the arms of love...

I hope very much that the opportunity will arise to catch up with you in person, perhaps next year if David and I can raise the money for a holiday break in San Fran. We are certainly hoping to make it across the water as and when our means allow. The MA is going obscenely well, by which I mean I am having too much fun it seems for it to be classed as hard work! My poetry is advancing leaps and bounds, while I have met and continue to meet interesting people through the course.

I didn't mean to write so much, but it's been a while! I will sign off now and say take care, my friend - and my love and thoughts to you and your friend Lee Ann. x

Reya Mellicker said...

My condolences to your friend Lee Ann. She is lucky to have you in her life. Getting a magic phone call like that can be so encouraging.

I think faith plays a big component, too, along with listening, paying attention. You have to believe what you're hearing when your intuition nudges you in a certain direction, otherwise your hand never seems to find its way to the phone.

One of your greatest gifts, Deborah, is your faith. What a great story.