Tuesday, December 06, 2005

a light goes on

As I was rushing around the house this morning, getting ready to take my son to school, the phone rang. It was LeeAnn. The memorial service for Max will be this weekend in Astoria. It’s a rush job, due to the fact that their son is on a short leave from the military, flying in soon from Kuwait. When she asked me to come, part of me balked. This was the weekend I planned to devote myself to the making of solstice presents. I’m sure she could hear the hesitation in my voice as I said “I’d try”. There was short silence and then she said “It would mean a lot to me”. I took a deep breath and felt the hesitation leave on the exhale. What better solstice magic, what better gift to give, than to show up for an old and beloved friend in their darkest of hours? I bought my tickets as soon as I got off the phone.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, yes. No other real choice. Much love to you, honey -- the presents will be something different; showing up for the beloved friend, that'll laast forever.

Reya Mellicker said...

I'll be in New Haven and you'll be in Astoria. I know what you mean about the hesitation factor, but once I'm there I know I won't regret it.

I'll be thinking about you - I'll have my cell phone with me and I think I'll even switch it on while I'm out of town. I love you.