Saturday, October 08, 2005

We Are Golden


The new moon with its eclipse has time and space slipping and sliding, there is feeling that literally anything can happen! This week the wheel clearly turned and the air is different. For one thing, it’s full of noise. There’s something always surreal about the week in San Francisco when the Blue Angels are flying overhead. It’s such an aberration in this left of center city to have a sky full of jet bombers showing off, it’s truly disconcerting. The city is full of people like myself muttering in disgust or dismay. Gus the dog got so upset he climbed the fence and some poor guy came home to find him cowering on his couch! He could be Houdini reincarnated into a hound. Dealing with this was part of Ilyse and my last minute preparations for the big RAN party.


Dressed in our finery, we took a cab to the event, and walking in, I knew it was going to be fabulous. And it was! The city that had dive bombers overhead all day had also dedicated the day to the Nigerian activist who had been killed for exposing the atrocities done in his country as a result of oil profiteering. His brother spoke, and there were tears all around. We reveled in the many victories RAN has had in the last twenty years, and ended up dancing for hours to a great band who is known, but not to me. I can’t for the life of me remember their name, but the music was great to dance to. I especially enjoyed Bob Weir jamming with them and singing old 60’s standards, like “What it’s Worth”. Some of my Deadhead friends would have plotzed. All through the night I felt an immense sense of gratitude for knowing the people I do. What a cast of characters!!!!


Today I pack up the car and take the fig, pomegranate, and avocado tree to my land. I’m also taking pity on Gus and getting him out of the city. The Blue Angels are on his nerves. Ever since yesterday I’ve been humming Joni’s song….given how things are going, this dream might actually happen. Heck, I actually think it is happening!


And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation
We are stardust
Billion year old carbon
We are golden
Caught in the devil’s bargain
And we’ve got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

1 comment:

Faerose said...

enjoying your posts