Friday, October 21, 2005

healthy, wealthy, and wise

Death serves to make us appreciate life, and sickness serves to make us appreciate health. Today I've been giddy with gratitude for my health and the incredible energy of this living body. Wow! What a miracle!

Ever since the full moon I've been battling the flu. Actually, it pretty much won a few hours into the initial skirmish, and then I fell into bed. Taking time off from my practice is always hard. Besides the loss of income, it means a massive amount of work in rescheduling every appointment. I don't remember the last time I took three days off in row. I was really sick.

Today I woke up and was delighted to feel something other than ill. I felt like myself!!!! I've been savouring that all day, just how fabulous that is! I know I'm not totally up to speed, but just to feel the level of energy that I do now, to feel an appetite again, to have a clear head; that's making me feel like a million bucks! Rich as rich can be!

The weather co-operated with my elation today by being glorious, one of those pearly San Francisco days, which culminate in one of those twilights where the city appears bathed in iridescent fairy fire. I don't even know what the last three days have been like, or what the sky's looked like at night. Oh, to have my health, that is precious beyond belief!

3 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Health is everything. Welcome back to your usual standards of excellence!

It's rainy here in DC, so I'll miss the graveyard poker, but I'm still thinking about the dead, and more than that about the living - and the healthy.

Bravo!!

Memory Echoes said...

Uffda. You were sick. Glad you purged that nastiness from your system and are feeling so alive!

Oh, and I appreciated the history lessons a few posts ago.

Anonymous said...

Just had the general flu jab and even though it's not a live culture, it still makes the elbows, knees and other joints feel a bit creaky with an overall depression hitting me which I know doesn't stem from within, as it were, but as a result of the impact of the vaccine on my system. I'm riding it out well enough. I'm just glad to have the vaccine. Not everyone can get it on the NHS.

I'm looking forward to feeling like myself again. Whatever that means.

Oh, and I have some news for you which I hope will be received with some joy: my partner David and I are going ahead with adoption plans and are hoping to be raising a family of one by this time next year! We have some way to go, including an Adoption Panel and social worker visits, but the law in the UK has tolerated no prejudicial barriers for some time now and so we're very, very optimistic about our chances of being approved. We've just got to hope a child is matched to us quickly after approval - which should be around early Summer 2006. Scary but exciting! x