Monday, October 03, 2005

new moon

In popular culture, it’s only the full moons that grab attention. Associated with werewolves, love songs, and full emergency rooms, everyone expects something dramatic to occur on a full moon. But, living the shamanic lifestyle, the trick is to pay attention to the energies surrounding the new moon, where the seeds of the future seem to be planted. This is the best time to make wishes, to set intent, to pay attention and get down to some life interpretation of the dream we are leading. This new moon really packs a punch, being also the beginning of the Jewish high holy days and one in which there happens to be an eclipse.

Fern had told me that given my astrological chart, to expect this new moon and eclipse to bring changes and transformation to my relationships - both to individuals and in communities. Now, change and transformation seem to be a constant in this e-ticket ride of my life, but I’m sensing the change right now is not in the form of the Tower card, there’s no catastrophic falling apart of any relationship. Those seem to be all around me, couples breaking up and mighty struggles happening. Given the battles I’m witnessing or hearing about, I’m rather happy to be going it alone at the moment. I think the changes this time round are more subtle, more fluid; this is a sea change. In this change, I’m setting the intent of continuing to discard old patterns that aren’t in my overall best interests, and to find myself easily be drawn to situations/relationships/adventures that give as much as they take, and that are essentially pleasing. I’m so ready to be fully pleased and delighted!

This new moon felt auspicious as it was a rare day I had hours of time to myself. Inspired by the Reya Letters, I spent some of the day writing my own set of letters. These letters are not only profoundly healing, but also hysterically funny. I wrote out my new moon wishes, and was surprised at the simplicity of them. I finished one big spirit bottle dedicated to New Orleans, and began another, and who and what that is dedicated to is in process of becoming. Perhaps the new moon! Naomi called during the day and invited me to a Rosh Hashanah dinner, and I noticed both how lovely the invitation was, and how important it seemed to decline. What seemed to be the magic at hand was to make a very nice dinner for myself and my son. It’s not often that there’s just the two of us home for dinner, and the meal was delicious in every way. In the past week, I’ve been acutely aware of his voice beginning to change. Like every change, it leads to more change. One of those changes will, of course, be in our relationship.

The day is over and it was a good one. Seeds have been planted into fertile soil. Here’s a new moon wish; May I travel thru this winter and on up into spring, rewarded and nourished by all that was planted today. So mote it be!

2 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Deborah,

You should put word identification on your blog so you don't get these stupid blog spams.

Re: new moon. YES. I love thinking of you and Casey having dinner together, his voice changing, your spirit bottle emerging from the creative space in your heart/head. YES.

I was born 4 hours before the new moon, 4 hours before an eclipse that marked the beginning of the Chinese New Year. Until Rose May Dance showed me how to draw down the moon, I could never stand the full moon - it was like listening to two radio stations at the same time.

I like the full moon these days, but there's nothing like that sliver of new moon close to the horizon to bring hope, inspiration and happiness to me.

Thank you. I love you!
Reya

Memory Echoes said...

Everything I've read about new moons in astrology suggested I begin making new moon lists, and everything I've read about eclipses suggests that this time in between them is something unpredictable and rapidly shifting, altogether different from our normal experience of space and time. I've found something new happening to me when I meditate, and I don't understand it, but it's a way to recharge and it has only started since the new moon. I find myself unsure of what's going on right now, so I'm just putting one foot in front of the other, hoping to wind up in interesting new territory on the other side.

I have read about drawing down the moon in Starhawk's book The Spiral Dance, but that is really the only place I've encountered it. Could you discuss this more?