Thursday, March 15, 2007

to speak or not to speak....


The Spring Equinox is drawing near, that one day when light and dark, night and day hang in perfect balance. It’s been warm here in San Francisco, one of those glorious weeks of clear skies. The tulips on my deck burst open yesterday, and this afternoon I’m writing on said deck, with some bird twittering away in a nearby tree and the rumble of freeway off in the distance. All week I’ve been ruminating on listening and silence and been thinking about the witch’s pyramid; to know, to dare, to will, and to keep silent. This is said to be the building blocks of creating magic. But what does this mean?

The longer I’m a witch, the less I ascribe or am drawn to magic that involves a high level of secrecy, a feeling that what is being worked with is so powerful it would be dangerous in the wrong hands. I know the power of casting a circle and using the secret names I was given at initiation, but frankly, I’ve found that cleaning my house with intention is more often than not just as powerful, and certainly as effective in changing things between the worlds. Most magic I do now is fairly out in the open, with very little being veiled. Is keeping silent part of our legacy of being in mortal danger if practicing the Craft? How truly important in living a magical life is keeping silent? What does this mean thealogically as we begin as witches to live life in the open?

Perhaps because of equinox, and prompted by a blog by Anne on Elders, I’ve been thinking on the balance between listening and speaking, and on knowing when to keep and break silence. Being a psychotherapist, I listen for a living. This is something I do well, dropping down and entering my client’s stories, paying acute attention to the story that is being woven with their choice of words, hearing not only what is being said, but imagining and questioning what is being omitted. An integral part of the therapist’s craft is knowing when to speak and when to keep silent. When I speak up as a therapist, I speak as an agent of healing change, in the hope that my words assist my clients in what they came to heal or transform. To know, to will, to dare, and to keep silent are all things I employ as therapist. But I also employ the breaking of silence, saying and drawing out what has never been spoken.

In Wiccan community, which in my case means the Reclaiming community, I’ve been one of the first to speak up when something feels off to me. At this point, I’m famous or infamous for it, depending on your point of view. Starhawk wrote about my speaking up years ago in her book Truth or Dare, using me as a shining example of someone who overcame the “inner censor”. I spoke out to a large group that I had concerns about a piece of magic that we were being encouraged to do by the priestesses in charge. It turned out many were feeling similarly but were afraid to say, so the plan changed. My guess is that if Star now used me as an example, it would not be so shining. Being the first to speak is a role I’ve been playing too long and it’s become stale. I’ve been working on keeping my silence more often, being keenly aware that in communities, like in families, we can all get accustomed to playing roles that no longer serve us or the community's health.

Last week, after much reflection, I spoke out against something I felt was wrong. It was a personal matter, and I'm still feeling the repercussions. Being silent would have made things easier on the surface, but there would have been a festering that would have lasted this lifetime. I can't stand festering, but perhaps it's something I need to get better at enduring.

The sun is beginning to set, the city is awash in pinkish gold that soon will be dimming. When to speak, and when not to speak....for me, this is the question. I know I’ll be ruminating as spring turns to summer on the witch’s pyramid, on this idea that knowing, willing, daring, and keeping silent are the base and foundation of doing magic. Right now, I’m looking at silence. When does silence equal death, and when does it allow for something different and new to be born? This equinox brings with it the heightened awareness of how every truth is balanced by its opposite, how paradox is the heart of mystery. Listening and speaking. There’s a time and art to both. And I do it for a living. How weird is that?

5 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Great questions, and great pics. I love the chair, laptop and table on your rooftop deck. I can place you in that chair so easily. Makes me happy to see the images!

Thorn is writing about listening this week, too. It must be in the air. Funny that silence is usually ascribed to the winter, because my mouth has been closed lately as I strain to listen to the beligerant starlings and the cardinals singing "Gurdjieff! Gurdjieff! Gurdjieff!"

I love Katrina's question, that before speaking you can ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish by speaking up. What is your motivation? That always helps me.

deborahoak said...

yes...that is what therapist's are trained to reflect on. Why speak now? When in training we have to back up every word/sentence with our intent - our motivation.
In relationship and community I've been using the questions of Is it kind, true and neccesary? But still...The neccesary is interesting for me. That's a whole topic in itself. For me..the neccesary doesn't spring from my self interest but a bigger picture and wow that get's me in trouble and I'm relooking at it.

Hecate said...

To be silent -- ha! My ascendent sign is Gemini; I was born talking. Learning to be silent has been a huge on-going life lesson for me. I've learned that I often rush to talk to relieve inner tension; being silent requires allowing tension to just -- be. Until it resolves itself. Then, I can speak.

Reya Mellicker said...

I think speaking does dissipate energy, always. Sometimes that's a good thing, but living here in the south as I have now for many years, I see how valuable it is to keep quiet, too. I've learned hwo to NOT say everything, and I've noticed what happens internally when I decide to resist the urge to talk. I've also always been interested in Anne Hill's concept of "speech ripeness" - waiting until an idea or thought is fully formed and 'matured' before saying it out loud. Every choice - to speak up or not speak up - is very interesting to me.

Hadar said...

This is amazing; I've been dealing with this sort of questions the entire week. When we listen and talk for a living, we think our communication stuff is down, and we need to work on other aspects of ourselves; but there are always challenges, always these places where we ask ourselves whether speaking up or keeping silent does more good. Thank you for bringing this up, and hi from a (usually lurking) reader on the other side of Earth!