Tuesday, March 06, 2007

there's no place like home





The older I've gotten, the more I trust my intuition. Once again, I'm trying to trust it, but it's not exactly easy. My intuition has guided me once again to being on a witchcamp team, and not only that, it's a team I never expected to be on. Have I done the right thing? It remains to be seen.

Last year the team I taught with at Spiralheart had the great honor of being asked back. We were a great team, and I am proud of the work we did together. We treated each other with respect, had each other's backs, encouraged each other to stretch, and modeled the values that shine from Reclaiming's principles of unity, something that does not always happen in a witchcamp setting. It helped that the Spiralheart community was actually that.... a community. I loved the setting in West Virginia, loved the people, loved the magic that unfolded, and even loved the food. It was great experience.

After being asked back, despite the positive experience, I kept having the niggling feeling that I was not supposed to go back, that it wasn't right for me. Teaching witchcamp in other places has progressively made it more painful that I'm blacklisted from teaching at the camp in my own backyard. Strangely, I'm blacklisted at California Camp for the very reason I'm sought after to teach at other camps. I strive to teach according to Reclamining's Principles of Unity. I excel at getting teams to work as teams, and refuse to be either a diva with backups and won't be a backup to a diva. This has caused problems locally. The Bay Area is rife with divas. Last fall, I was feeling that pain acutely, and my intuition told me that I needed to keep my energy closer to home. And I was thinking that maybe I was finally done teaching witchcamp.

Then, just when I'd finally made peace with my decision and had settled in to a summer sans witchcamp, I was approached by a friend who had been set to teach at BC witchcamp and now couldn't. She and the organizers wanted me to take her place. At first I said no. And meant it. Then, something shifted. I kept thinking about the theme,
The Wizard of Oz. Suddenly, it felt right. A story that focused on getting home. The story that I love so much, and have loved since childhood. I'm not sure if my intuition can be trusted on this, if it's really right that I teach away from home once again. But, like the yellow brick road, I'm following it.

From my deck, downtown San Francisco glows at sunset like the Emerald City. Who knows where my intuition will lead me? Maybe home.

5 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

For heaven's sake, Deborah, you HAVE to teach the Wizard of Oz!! It's so clear! Who else is on the team? I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience. You always do!

GREAT pic of the SF skyline from your deck. I love that pink/gold sunlight at sunset reflected off the skyscrapers. Beautiful.

Hecate said...

Wow, your picture makes me miss SF so much!

Anonymous said...

Great pics on this blog, I will have to research witchcamp, etc... I went to salem once and met some witches, really beautiful women.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful view.

Magda xx

Grilled Cheese Recipes said...

I ennjoyed reading this