Sunday, September 30, 2012

Harvest Time

Last night I danced my patootie off under the big harvest moon, celebrating the hand fasting of two dear queer Pagan friends. In my hurry to dress and beautify for the event, I'd left my cell phone at home. Some mistakes are gifts. The gift of being without my phone left me able to be fully present. If I'd brought it, I'd have been checking it persistently, as this weekend was the deadline for Governor Brown to sign or veto the bill I've been working on for about two years.

The hand fasting was juicy love magic. My rag tag Pagan community was dressed to the nines and tens, as only Pagans can dress. Sequins, feathers, and glitter abounded, and Pagans and other family and friends all glowed with happiness.  Love is something to celebrate. Commitment is something to honor. These two woman have been together for almost a decade, and it was perfect timing for this particular spell.  The setting was exquisite, high on a bluff at Fort Mason, overlooking our beautiful bay. We feasted and drank and toasted to love for hours. And danced.

Meanwhile, the Governor was signing SB1172 into law. It is now illegal in California for therapists to "treat" minors for being gay or gender queer. This legislation is landmark, the first in the land. And, it is already spreading. A similar bill has been proposed in New Jersey, and LGBT activists are now fighting for this nationwide.

I am proud. Two years ago I became a Board member for Gaylesta, the biggest and first LGBTQ psychotherapy association in the country. I came on as the chair of the new advocacy committee, and last year became Co-President. After years of activism in anarchist groups, I have learned a new way of activism, and also deepened my understanding of  leadership.  Legislative politics doesn't have the same panache as direct action politics, but it certainly can be as powerful. Gaylesta, a volunteer associaton, was instrumental in getting this bill both created and passed. I've always believed that being a therapist was being an agent of change and my work with Gaylesta has proved to be integrative. Being an activist within my profession is satisfying. Good therapy can save lives.  Bad therapy can destroy them.

Today, the world just got a little safer for LGBTQ youth.

Last night I dance to Lady Gaga singing Born This Way amidst the group of Pagan teens I've known since birth, some queer, probably many questioning, but all secure in knowing their community will celebrate however they choose to love and however they identify. This morning I spent planting bulbs in my garden, throwing the line of celebration into the spring. Sometime in the future tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils will bloom in my backyard, reminding me of what it means to plant and work towards a better future. And what it means to dance.

Which really does have to be part of any good revolution.







3 comments:

Helen/Hawk said...

Changing worlds - activism takes all different shapes. It's making magic (joining in the co-creation of the world).

The worlds of our teens are now safer.

Joining you in dancing.

genexs said...

It's been a while...

Congrats on this, it's wonderful. I have a friend whose parents had him subjected to such 'therapy'. He's lucky he escaped with his sanity. Btw, he still hates his parents.

Crystal Blanton said...

Congrats on all your work! I sent you a message on Google plus about a potential interview with PNC bay area. Hope to hear from you! Thanks.