Thursday, July 19, 2007

priestess of place


Things have been moving around in my house, so of course, things are moving around in me. Over the past years, I’ve come to accept that a core part of my priestessing is tending to this house built right before the turn of the last century. This means being actively involved with listening to it.


The bones of the house come from what use to be ancient redwood forests to the North, and as a youth, the house survived the 1906 earthquake and the fires that raged for days. Sometime in the 1920’s the second floor was lifted from the first floor and another flat inserted like sandwich filling and a stucco front was slapped on over the wood in front.

In the backyard there is the original stable, which was emptied last weekend of over a hundred years of assorted junk. Empty of the stuff, the spirits of the house have stretched out and there is a pleasant spaciousness to the energy here. For the first time, I can recognize the old wallpaper that was put in on the walls of the hayloft, and the particulars of the old workbench that must have been built sometime in the 1930’s in the area that a horse use to occupy.

My bond with this house has been as deep and as confounding as just about any other intimate relationship. Like good ones, it holds me in a loving way while also challenging me and making me think. In it, I find the reflection of myself, in both shadow and light. Sometimes it takes me months to figure out what it’s saying to me, or what it wants. But, relentlessly, it keeps on communicating. The house both demands that history be honored and that change keeps occurring. Juggling the two is a lifetime endeavor, one the house has made me more adept at. There are spirits and ghosts with more tenants’ rights than a Berkeleyite , that will be here long past myself, and there are those the house wants tossed out. Listening to the house, I’ve learned to differentiate between the two.


The stable is cleared out, some furniture is being let go of, even more of it is being rearranged, and this weekend I will be culling thru my many books. Space is being made. This moving of things is mirrored in my jumbled feelings right now, a general sense of things being not quite sorted out, a disarray that promises to result in new perspective on things.

During this time, I'm finding comfort on my rooftop garden amongst the ripening strawberries and peas. It's here that the simple sight of a ladybug on a rose leaf brings joy. It’s here that the house tells me everything is really alright, that letting go eventually leads to letting in, and that despite the turmoil and work of change, I've actually never been happier. Could that possibly be true of you, old house? I think it is.

7 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Wow.
Having been brought up in England in an Elizabethan town, I know old when my spirit feels it.
Old as in human construct, that is.
It's something we don't have too much of in Joburg.

My own house is less than 20 years old, for instance.

But the land is old, and those are the spirits I have to listen to.
It would be great to have house spirits as well, but so far all I've identified is a cat.

Love,
terri in Joburg

judy g said...

does this mean that we're not moving to bernal heights and live like normal people?

Broomstick Chronicles said...

Lovely, Oak. Thanks.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I hear you guys had a bit of an earthquake this morning-everyone OK?

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Pensieve said...

It has always been my dream to live in an old Victorian house. The nooks and crannies, the stairs behind closets, the souls who live/d there.

I don't know if I'll ever live in an old Victorian (by the sea). But I have in another life, that's for sure.

deborahoak said...

Terri, We woke last night to the house rolling...for what seemed like a long long time. Nothing broke, and somehow it's always reassuring to have quakes like these...if go by the theory that its releasing something. Judy...abandon hope. There is no normal for us. Even in Bernal Heights. And what makes that normal anyways? Pensieve, I can't see the sea from here, but sometimes I can hear the foghorns from the bay.

Laura Stamps said...

What a lovely photo of your room! I love my house and have several spirts living there with me. I am also blessed that my backyard blends right into a state forest, and there is an awesome faery mound in my backyard (which we left wild). When I have the time I love to clean things out, and make more open space in my house, which I have a feeling the faeries like too. More room for them!