Monday, July 23, 2007

Portal into Gratitude: For Me, It's Gnome and Strawberries

I've been spending a lot of time on my rooftop garden. For me, it's the best place to get quiet and to listen. And to pray. For many years, as a witch, I felt funny using the "P" word. But praying is something I've always done. Doesn't everybody who has any sort of a relationship to the Divine pray? How could you not? Annie Lamott says there are essentially two kind of prayers; "Help me, Help me" and "Thank you, Thank you". I think there is actually a third, which is the blend of the two. This is the kind of praying I've been doing recently.

Gnome Chomsky has been a great addition to the garden and has become the Protector and Guardian of Strawberries. I think it has something to do with his red hat.

Thank you, Mary Oliver, for this beautiful poem.





Praying - by Mary Oliver

It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"this isn't/a contest but the doorway"

Lovely. And thanks for the picture of an altar that is not obviously an altar!

A

Faerose said...

ok, now tht is one funny gnome. :)

Laura Stamps said...

I used to have a hard time with the "p" word too. Then somewhere long ago (I forgot where) I read that praying and spellcasting are essentially the same thing. And you know, that seems to be true for me, and made me feel much better about praying.

I am a very eclectic, psychic Witch, and my spells are often a mix of communication with the spirits in my life in praise or supplication (prayer) as well as focused intent (spellcasting). And I "pray" like this all day long. So now I feel good about prayer, because I realize I have been doing it all along, just adding a little Witchy-ness to it (grin).

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Ah, so that's Gnome Chomsky!

Beautiful strawberries-I never manage to grow mine so big, but then the birds get most of them anyway.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

I love Mary Oliver, and I also love Gnome Chomsky. :) That is the cutest thing I've seen in garden gnomes since Amelie!

Faerose said...

I keep coming back to that gnome photo... It looks familiar - Have you posted it before?

Edward C. Foster said...

You need help!!

Ed