Tuesday, April 03, 2007

sacred chocolate cows



The outrage over the chocolate Jesus is being discussed all over the blogosphere. Meanwhile, the full moon is shining down and I’m full of gratitude for being part of a tradition where the only blasphemy is in the degradation of the life giving elements of this green planet. Toxins in a river, clearcutting a forest, this is sacrilege. There is nothing a pagan could make in chocolate that would be profane, thank Goddess!

Chocolate Gods and Goddesses, the only response is YUMM….even if unrobed and buck naked. Reading about the hubbub I took even more pleasure in Steward passing on the work of the )APAUSICOTS(. This apparently stands for the All Powerful and Ultra Secret Inner Circle of the Spiralheart. There’s one of these in every community, but count on those east coasters to make it official and produce documents.

And what a document they have produced!!! Proudly, the document us west coasters produced was and is the Reclaiming Principles of Unity. I love these principles. In fact, I adore them, am devoted to them.

And yet, I almost peed my pants laughing in delight to read the )APAUSICOTS(‘s Disclaiming Principles of Conformity. It’s a chocolate Jesus if I ever saw one. Delicious, dark, and damn funny. I don’t think I’ll every pass out copies of the principles of unity without also passing out their shadow sister, the principles of conformity.

Thank you, All Powerful and Ultra Secret Inner Circle of the Spiralheart. If you reveal yourselves, I'll send you a chocolate Sheela Na Gig. Vulva and all. I promise.



11 comments:

Hecate said...

I LOVE the chocolate Shelia na Gig! And the chocolate Venus of Willendorf, and the chocolate . . .

OK, I love chocolate.

Reya Mellicker said...

I'M sorry. I think the Shelia na Gig is icky no matter what it's made of ... see this is exactly why I do so much better as a Jew.

As for blasphemies in the pagan world, oh my goodness, there are dozens of them not so shining or admirable as toxins in a river, though a chocolate Jesus would never qualify.

Actually even for most Christians (at least all the ones I know) the chocolate Jesus is nothing more than funny.

Why are you pagans always picking on other religions? (said with a smile, but ... it's true!!)

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Hah! That was very funny, and I had no idea what the original Reclaiming Principles of Unity were!

Reya, not speaking for all Pagans here, but I don't so much pick on other religions as pick on other people and their goofy, and frequently harmful, ideas.

Doesn't make me pure or righteous, but does give me a break to laugh at Ourselves!

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

Reya sez:

"Why are you pagans always picking on other religions?"

Wow, that's a telling statement Reya, especially since you spent the whole first half of your comment picking on Pagans. I guess you're still one of us, after all.

Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

I want a chocolate Shelia na Gig!

Broomstick Chronicles said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Where can I get a chocolate sheila? I love sheilas!

My friend Victoria has made a series of sheila na gig quilts, including a Mormon sheila and a sheila meets St. Augustine. She even had a show for her 60th birthday at the late lamented Change Makers in Oakland.

Reya, those of us "Remaining" like to think we've matured. With gains in acknowledgement and respect for the Pagan religions, we've felt less need to emphasize our differences by dissing other religions.

In fact, if one gains any exposure to the world of interfaith relations and activities, one learns so much more and is far less inclined to look askance at the beliefs and practices of others. And I say that having been reared in a conservative Christian household -- although my parents' marriage was considered "mixed" because my mother's family was Methodist and my dad's was Roman Catholic. Neither variety "fit" me. Paganism does.

deborahoak said...

oh my goodness/goddess! I had no intention of picking on another religion! The hubbub over the chocolate jesus is funny...and made me reflect on how this is one part of my tradition that I am proud of...mirth and reverence being bound together. All religions seem to really be one at their best...boiling down to love. But we all have our strengths and weaknessess. I do think pagans have an incredible ability to laugh at themselves and hold this laughter as sacred....and this is something some other religions at large do not do.

Reya Mellicker said...

Was I picking on pagans? I thought I was saying that pagans are just like any other religious group. There are good pagans and there are self righteous pagans. Oh well ... clearly a badly written comment.

I'm a Jew now, Anne, but of course I'm still one of you! For heaven's sake!

genexs said...

http://blogagainsttheocracy.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love the 'Disclaiming Principles of Conformity' after laughing very hard - i found them very useful.

Brill!

Ps. I'll take good chocolate in most shapes and formats. ;)

Magda xx

Anonymous said...

You have invoked the high holy name of )APAUSICOTS( and I have come from the void (Greater Washington, D.C. Metro area) in answer to your call.

I am She/He/It/Them/They,and on Fridays it is dress down day so we come as the Fey.

We are that which always was and always will be, always moving into form, through form, and out of form. Unless, of course, you have something shiny...in which case we stick around!

Remember also, that when booking a trip to the land of fey to sign up for rapid rewards points, good for valuable merchandise such as barley in your hair and hoof prints on your sheets.

Let the Wild Hunt begin!