Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

I saw too many couples in conflict today. Next year, I'm going to refuse to see couples on Valentine's Day, suggesting instead they invest what they spend on therapy on a nice dinner out or perhaps filling their home with flowers. Sometimes therapy is not the right therapeutic endeavor. Seeing couples today just felt wrong.

I love weddings, as they are one of the few rituals left in the overculture that celebrate love and connection. Heck, they are the only ritual that does this, except Valentine's Day. So, of course, I love Valentine's Day as well. What can be wrong with a holiday that centers on hearts and cards expressing love? Believing in the power of ritual and symbol, I believe in the magic of Valentine's Day.

I wore red today, including a fabulous pair of socks dancing with a print of scarlet flames. And also a big silver heart on a chain. I made every couple at some point in their session stop and remember what they love about each other, and breathe into it.

Love IS dangerous. It can lead to couples therapy. But I'm still for it.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm for it too, babe.......

Reya Mellicker said...

Love inevitably leads to couples therapy, doesn't it? But you're so smart to make those couples remember why they love each other. Wow.

Here's a great Valentine's day pic taken in NYC by one of my fav photo bloggers.

Much love to you and SO GLAD you're blogging!!