Monday, February 22, 2010

monday night miracles

It’s rare that my teenage son will spend an evening with me going to a movie and dinner, but that small miracle happened tonight. We went to see Shutter Island, which is a movie you can’t say a whole heck of a lot about or you wreck it for people who haven’t seen it. I have some things to say that won’t wreck it, and these are some of the things that my son and I actually talked about over the sushi dinner we had after the show. Yep, we talked and he did not text once. Thank you, Martin Scorcese.


Like the bulk of Scorcese’s films, violence is major theme in Shutter Island. Shutter Island addresses quite brilliantly how twisted we can become when we can't face our own capability for violence. There’s a poignant bit of dialogue after a big storm where the warden of the Shutter Island talks with the protaganist about the violence of nature, surmising that violence is a natural part of the human nature as well as God’s nature. Denying this, only leads to madness.


Four months ago, violence touched our lives. The violence was literally scarring, but what was worse was losing someone we both loved to the madness that incurs when violence has to be disavowed and those you hurt, vilified. Another miracle occurred tonight in Shutter Island being the perfect vehicle for us to discuss trauma, violence, and the power of denial to twist the human psyche.


Now we are home and he’s busy upstairs texting friends and playing music. I’m writing this, grateful for the small miracle of this night, and thinking about the nature of violence and the damage it wreaks, especially when it is denied.


A big storm passed through our lives. It was violent, and sudden, and there continues to be some clean up to do. The conversations that Shutter Island inspired are part of the clean up.


Again, thank you, Martin Scorcese! You've given me a lot to think about.

4 comments:

Donald Engstrom-Reese said...

Violence has also recently touched our lives. The shock of it still vibrates deep in my bones. I am still waiting for my being to stop shaking long enough to make a first step forward. I am open to the miracle of transformation.

anne hill said...

What a great springboard for that important conversation, Oak. I'm glad to hear you and Casey had such a great evening together.

T. Thorn Coyle said...

Some of Scorcese's films, I just can't watch, and this one looks too creepy for me... But he has a great way of framing larger questions in the particulars of the film (like in Gangs of NY, for one). Sounds like this was no exception.

You are right. We all need to face our violence. To feel. To cleanse. To heal.

deborahoak said...

Oh, Donald, we need to talk voice to voice - I will be calling you. And, Thorn, the trailer is way more creepy than the film. Gangs of New York was much more violent - (although this film addresses the holocaust and H bomb - which is of course over the top violence). Anne, you should see it for the terrible beauty of the dream sequences. It continues to haunt me - in a good way. I wish I'd NEVER seen The Shining. I am grateful for this movie and will see it again.