Tuesday, February 17, 2009

blessings

It rained almost nonstop for the entire span of Pantheacon. Pretty much every conversation contained expressions of gratitude, as most Pagans were cognizant of the serious threat of drought hanging over California. The rain fell as a blessing on the land and as a blessing on this year’s conference.


This year was a significant one for me. It marked the anniversary of my diagnosis of Type II Diabetes. I’ve kept my blood sugar within normal levels for a full turn of the wheel by making big changes in my diet and by keeping moving. I am healthy, and that has been a major magical working. Shifting consciousness by going into trance and working between the worlds is a breeze for many of us Pagans. Shifting consciousness to brussel sprouts and a brisk walk, not M&M’s and a good novel, being what the body wants, is a heck of a lot harder.


But, I’ve done it, and I kept it up at Pantheacon, where the easiest food to obtain is chocolate chip cookies and pizza and the exercise room is one of the few rooms in the hotel not teeming with Pagans. Working out is a great way to get some solitude, and the hotel is hospitable enough to provide a lot of comfortable seating areas where you can spread out picnics you’ve brought in. Judy wouldn’t eat in the area where she’d witnessed a woman holding court with her five snakes, including a massive white constrictor big enough to eat one of us. My guess is that even next year she’ll give that area a wide clearance, she’s that snake phobic.


I’m a lover of panels, of watching a variety of folks discuss a topic and then taking questions. This year was no different, and going to the panel with the wonky title of ”The Non-Dual, Polytheism, and Magic” led me to become enamored of Lon Milo DuQuette. It true synchronistic fashion, he turned out to be the author of the only book my non-Pagan partner bought. Who can’t resist a book called “The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford”? The title grabbed her (being a lover of all things chicken) and then he impressed her mightily by answering the very question she was thinking when he signed her book. He drew a little picture of himself with the caption “No, Judy”, he wrote, “I am not the Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford”, thus making her sure that he is, indeed, a mighty magician. I’m for any mind-reading magician who says “I can change only one thing with magic – myself”.


There were well over 2,000 Pagans at Pantheacon, with a breadth of workshops ranging from Tibetan Buddhism to a Jim Morrison ritual. One of my friends almost lost her 20 years of recovery at the Morrison ritual, and another is all geared up to start studying Tibetan Buddhism in earnest.


There are lots of stories to tell, and perhaps I will be telling them here now and then. But, at the moment there is a break in the blessed rain. Gratefully, I know exactly what to do with it. Time for a walk! It’s such a darn fine thing to be healthy.

8 comments:

Ellen Catalina, LCSW said...

I am glad you made it out here for the convention. I was only able to attend one panel but enjoyed it. the rain is great for us, we were in a very very serious drought until about two weeks ago.

Congrats on the health changes you've made....

Anonymous said...

It's kinda funny that Paganism overall does not put a little more emphasis on combining the mental and the spiritual with the physical.

It's far easier, in the Pagan circles I've come to know and love, to be taken at face value as a Couch Potato or a Ritual Junkie or a Book Wormy Magic Head than a (in my case) Mountain Bike Rider. And much more difficult to convey the sheer magic of riding a mountain bike over outdoor trails on a sunny morning or through an evening storm...Go figure!

Hecate said...

Didn't Margo Adler make waves a few years ago suggesting that Pagans might want to start acting as if they believed in an embodied divinity? Good on you for the changes you've made. V grateful, here on the East Coast, for the Pantheacon reports. Last time I was in San Diego they'd had a rainy spring and the wildflowers were AMAZING

Anonymous said...

It is funny and fitting that both you and I used the exercise room at Con, which was indeed a good place for solitude!!!!

judy g said...

you are so right. i will NEVER sit on that huge round ottoman again!

Vauxhall "Vox" Theatricum said...

For me the best thing about Pantheacon is seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I was really happy to find you and Judy and the others hanging out in the lobby and to be able to sit down and spend time talking with everyone. As I said then, it would be great to do something like that more often. Thanks for letting me have your empty "prosperity" bottle, which now sits on top of my refrigerator, uh, I mean my altar! And thanks to Judy for hooking me up with a ride home, which worked out really well.
Pax, Vox

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the even was a lot of fun! Hopefully I will be able to make it next year.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your health!
We're lucky enough to have Lon and Constance just down the road from us, but I miss ritual with Sam.
Don't do the big gatherings, I'm crowd phobic.