Saturday, May 24, 2008

please and thank you

There should be a name for that moment right before you get news that could change your life. Don’t we all know that moment, know that feeling? The phone rings in the middle of the night, and before we pick it up, we have it. We hold the envelope in our hands and it comes on strong. It is fear, but also something else, particular unto itself. Many times that moment is actually hours, if not days. We wait for the results of the biopsy, for the results on the big test we took, we wait to hear if loved ones survived when disasters hit. We wait for friends to come out of a coma, we wait to see if a surgery is successful, we wait to hear something and we hope that it is good, that it won’t involve loss or suffering.

That moment, whether an actual minute or a stretch into days, is the place where no matter the faith, no matter the religion, we all tend to enter the same psychic space. Whether anxious, shut down, self-medicating, or stoic, most of us are emitting a mighty PLEASE.

I think even atheists emit this PLEASE, this strong psychic request that the outcome be good. Whether our beliefs or not, it’s part of our humanity to experience and enter this moment when we know life is held in the balance, where we wait to hear or see which way it falls, and we hope and can’t help but emit the psychic request for a good outcome. An atheist might say that it’s moments like these that humans invented a God for. And, they’re probably right. Because, in these moments, I do think we all are asking like crazy, something, somebody, make this turn out right. And, it’s much more comforting to believe something, somebody, is listening. I believe an atheist can be in foxhole and not believe in God. However, I think atheists and the devout alike enter a similar state of please. The devout just have a name to attach it to. And the devout Pagan, well, we have names of countless Gods, Goddesses, and all the elements to say please to.

I’ve been in this moment now since Thursday. A huge fire is raging in the hills above Santa Cruz. My sister’s family and animals had to flee, and they now are being housed amongst friends. They are safe, and that of course, is what is most important. But, the house is beloved, having been designed and built by them off the grid, with a garden that took twenty years to get to where it is. If it gets burned, they all will be devastated. Plus, it’s under-insured.

There have been moments when things have looked pretty bad, like when leaving they could see the fire approaching their hill. There have been times it’s looked good, like now, when we just heard the house is still standing and that the firefighters have created a fire break right before it. But, the fire is still raging, and the fire fighters told them there are hot spots all around that could still erupt. It’s not yet a sure thing that the house will survive the fire.

Besides my sister and her family, I know and care deeply for another family who has been evacuated. I know they are safe, but I don't know about their home. The moment that I am writing about most often occurs when we are aware that things are in the balance for ourselves or those we love. But, occasionally we feel it more globally. Cyclones in Burma, earthquakes in China, towers hit in New York, hurricanes in New Orleans; for most of us there are times we come to attention and enter that moment for others we don't know or personally love.

Annie Lamott says there are two basic prayers, help me, help me, and thank you, thank you. I think she’s half right. I think there are two basic prayers and thank you is definitely one of them. But the other is not help me so much as PLEASE!!! Isn’t it funny that good manners really are the language of spirit? My allies demand them, don't yours?

I sent out word on Thursday to many of my Pagan friends and family to send their Pagan prayers. A friend devoted to Brigid assured me she’s on the case. Another friend put rainwater on her altar and asked for rain. Others are working with air for the winds to become still. Everthing and everybody seem to be cooperating, as the winds died down on Friday morning and drizzle and fog covered the mountains.

Moments like these you become acutely aware of the precariousness of life and circumstance. There is gratitude, fear, tenderness and strength all mixed up together. There is deep yearning for things to turn out right, and for the Fates and the universe to work in our favor. This is the moment we want to believe in magic and know that it will work. We all know this moment, and yet there is no name for it. Or is there? Maybe this moment is really a concentrate of what is actually always happening, what is always going on in and around us. Maybe this moment is simply life.

Please let this fire be contained and no more homes burned. Please let my sister’s home be safe and standing. Please let me get to the place where the thank yous take over. Please? Thanks!

15 comments:

Angela said...

This post really speaks to me! I will be sending prayers for them all.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I hear you.
We're having our own 'please' moment here in South Africa right now, too.
But witches know how to walk in those liminal spaces, don't we?

You can have some of our (unseasonal, unpleasant) rain, if you like.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Oak,

Yes, this state that you so eloquently describe, is what I simply call, my life.

LIving with HIV for over twenty five years has mutated this moment (a minute, an hour, a week, a year) into a life time.

And then came the realizations, the awakenings, the whatevers, that we are all co-creators of the multiverse, that the Mysterious Ones are our feres wanting to be welcomed into our hearth-clans. And then that really hard bit, that is that no one is omnipotent, omnipresent, omni-anything. We are all in an amazingly rich, complicated relationship with each other. There is no one being to curse, plead, thank, or bless. We are all in this together and are all culpable makers (on more levels than I often want to admit) of the worlds.

I have wholly immersed myself into this world-view. Yet, I still hear myself yelling at times, screaming directly into the heart of the multiverse,

"No! This will not do!"

And yes, I am fully and completely grateful for every breath I take, every step I take. I am so grateful for all of the feres and beloveds in my life. I am even deeply grateful that someday it will be my turn to die.

With all of this in mind, I simply ask,

"May cultures of beauty, balance and delight root deeply into the dark rich soils of the Good Green Earth.

May the fires notice our nyd!

May the homes of the folks be a blessing to Midgard.

May the waters notice our nyd!

May the gardens of the folk be a blessing to Midgard.

May the winds notice our nyd!

May abundance and joy flow through our lives like a wild untamed river.

May all of our relatives notice our nyd!"

Cat said...

Please!




Thank you!

Zahara Celestial said...

Dear Oak,
thank you so much for your open heart that shares. That act in itself for me is a prayer a please and a thank you.
It is at those times when as you so eloquently describe LIFE - when it is a reminder how vunerable we are.
I am reminded of a dream I had a while back when I was transported back to the Inca's and an elder handed me a live beating bloody heart to hold in my hand. He said 'When your heart is open is cannot be broken'.
Sometimes I need to hear what my mind thinks is obvious. Becuase I don't 'get it' in my body/soul/spirit.
It is at these times that I have the experience that I am so alive in the moment. Like my dream I can struggle with being so alive - holding the bloody heart. Being with this flesh and bone.
And...what is so valuedin these moments can be the loving look of a friend to the song of a bird.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your please.
Many Blessings
Love Elizabeth

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

Sending prayers, love and protection energy for all ..

And also, greatest gratitude for this place where you share your heart and vision with us, dear Oak.

Come gentle rain, quiet air, healing earth: may the fires slumber only in their welcoming, peaceful hearths.

- Beth Owl

knittingdragonflies said...

Yes I agree totally. I love reading your posts, I wish I could write my thoughts out like this.
Smiles
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Deborah,
Thanks for being "Miss Manners" for those of us in need of some pagan etiquette reminders.

Here's adding my "please" to the mix that Stacy's house and family stay safe and unharmed from the fire....
big love,
Fern

Ellen-Mary said...

It amazes me how the universe works. I haven't read your blog in weeks. No real reason; I just fell out of the habit. Today I picked up a book at Borders and it felt like it was humming in my hands. I knew it was a keeper. It's called 'Awe: the delights and dangers or our eleventh emotion' by Paul Pearsall, Ph.D.

I've only read the introduction but when I read your entry today it was as if I was reading from his book.

He writes: "Unlike all the other emotions, it's all of our feelings rolled up into one intense one. You can't peg it as just happy, sad, afraid, angry or hopeful. Instead, it's a matter of experiencing all of these feelings and yet, paradoxically, experiencing no clearly identifiable, or at least describable, emotion. Awe overwhelms and drains the power out of any other singular emotion we may have had before it took hold, and the best description I've been able to give it so far is that - no matter how good or bad our brain considers whatever is happening to be - it is feeling more totally and completely alive than we thought possible before we were in awe. It's feeling numbed yet totally alert at the same time."

As a native New Yorker, that's how I felt on 9/11. I'm guessing it's what you're feeling now.

Anonymous said...

White light and hopes sent out so that no more homes are burned!!

Please!
Please!
Please!


Mama Kelly

Kat said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We are well, back in and feeling the Phoenix. See you soon.

Kat

deborahoak said...

Thank you, everyone. For the quote about awe. For a reminder of those who are in jeopardy in South Africa, for donald's beautiful words and good heart, for all of you. Thank you! My sister and her family are back at home. Everything is burned around them,but the house and garden are an island that was untouched by flame. The wind died down on Friday and stayed down for the several days it took to put out the fire. And...it got drizzly and foggy.
thank you....to all, including the multiverse of beings and the Mysterious Ones. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

"There should be a name for that moment right before you get news that could change your life."

My mother (a fundamental Baptist, no less) and her church use the ancient greek word Kairos for the big moments in life. Apparently in ancient Greek Chronos meant time as in an amount, a progression/duration/cycle, and Kairos is time as in an event. Where Chronos deals with quantities of time, Kairos deals with the moments of exceptional quality: marriage, death, birth, prayer, initiation, etc. Your post made me think of that. Maybe the word fits, maybe it doesn't.

Andy said...

Thank you for such a wonderful post that has touched me deeply. I send my Pagan prayers to those you love.

Reya Mellicker said...

May all the people lost their houses access the strength and resources they need to deal with the disaster.

Thank God your sister, her family, animals and home are safe.