Thursday, January 24, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I didn't post once during the sign of Capricorn. I tried to, I really did. I'm thinking that what was needed was downtime, that this period from Solstice until close to Brigid is seed time for me, time to go inward and mull and muse. I've done a lot of that. Now the sun has shifted into my sign, into Aquarius, and by all astrological reports, this will be a good year for me. Suddenly I feel able to commit my words to cyberspace paper.

So, a review of some of what happened during Capricorn and the germinating seeds of future blogs;

The day after solstice, my housemate left to D.C. for a year. She works with Moveon.org and she went to work on the election. Last heard from, she was having a cocktail with Lloyd from the show Entourage at the Sundance Film Festival. But hey, before she left, there was a party at her flat that included the director Stuart Townsend and Charlize Theron. She has been replaced by my friend Patrick who founded SmartMeme and his partner of many talents, who is the daughter of a famous author currently the subject of a movie in the works. What a life! Being a Witch and an activist has put me in contact with glamour in all sorts of unexpected ways. Blog in germination: Glamour – the allure and the illusion. Also, shifts in house, shifts in self.

I’ve been both preparing to teach in England at a Reclaiming Witchcamp, AvalonSpring, I’m also been working on creating a retreat called “The Fool’s Journey” with a group of other priestesses who are alienated by or grown out of Bay Area Reclaiming. Posts in germination: commitment to a spiritual path versus a spiritual tradition, and reaching spiritual maturity while keeping beginner’s mind.

My son will turn 16 at the end of this month, An Aquarian like me, he seemed to have a big developmental leap during Capricorn. He also had his birthday party early, which despite a written contract, did, like most teenage parties, get out of control. Vomiting, a flooded bathroom, a broken window, and a stolen iTouch put an end to it before midnight. He showed great maturity in taking the lead and throwing everyone out except the close friends who helped clean up.

He threw the party the week after a classmate’s dad was shot at half-time at her basketball game, right in front of the school. The dad was an ex-gang member who ran a organization to help kids stay out of gangs, an organization my son’s father was on the board of. I figured my son wanting a big party was his way of creating a ritual for his friends to deal with the shock of the violence. That runs in the family, as I truly believe parties are some of the finest magic that humans can conjure up. Our solstice party was in fact quite fabulous. Germinating post: Aren’t we humans just a big teenage party out of control on the planet?

A lot more happened, and a lot more posts are germinating. Check back, I intend to post more regularly during the sign of Aquarius!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back, Oak. I think 2007 is well-deserving of a "Heckuva job, Brownie" award.

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

Oh, I am SO glad to see you back again.. I have profoundly missed you.
I love your idea of The Fool's Journey! If you would like any Tarot-type participation from the coastally-impaired, here in North Carolina, let me know!

And Happy Almost Birthday!
-- Beth

Anonymous said...

Your proposed retreat, The Fools' Journey, sounds intriguing. Perhaps a way to work deeper into the way change makes magic and magical endeavors better and worse for those who take them up.

Moonroot said...

Glad to have you back. :-)
Looking forward to seeing you in April!