Monday, May 14, 2007

a blot in every way

It's wild! It's gay!
A blot in ev'ry way.
The birds and bees with all of their vast
Amorous past
Gaze at the human race aghast,
The lusty month of May.

More lyrics from the musical “Camelot”


When you live in San Francisco, you have to be ready for the weather to change drastically on a dime. Yesterday was warm and bright, but today was windy and bone-chillingly cold. I’ve been going along in my May reverie, enjoying the tra la ness of the month, the lustiness of the roses blossoming on my deck, trusting the sunny feeling that’s been steadily growing, but today I find myself caught without the layers needed to warm me up with the chill that is in the air.

My mother is in the hospital with a fever that won’t come down. The place where her breast once was is infected and full of fluid. I talked to her at length yesterday, wishing her a happy Mother’s Day, and telling her what we were up to here in the city. Talking to my stepfather today, we pieced together that she had thought I was my sister, and that she had talked to my nephew, Zane, instead of my son. She thought I hadn’t called, and was touched that Deanna had called twice. The fever has me cold with dread.

This afternoon my other sister Stacy called crying and miserable. Her partner’s niece has been a fixture at her house for the past year, coming over with her baby for comfort and coddling since her husband has been in Iraq with the Army. The niece recently had a mental breakdown, which appears to be the dramatic onset of a bipolar disorder. She’s fighting the diagnosis and refusing to be treated. The husband is back from Iraq on leave, and yesterday the niece violently attacked him and is now in jail. This has cast a mighty dark cloud over the planning of my sister and her partner’s wedding in June.

And then I opened an email bearing the news that a lovely woman in my extended pagan family lost her 26 year old son this week to viral pneumonia. The loss of this son brought home for me the sickening number of mothers who are grieving and will be grieving young sons and daughters killed in this evil war.

I wish I could say that bad things come in three, and that was it. If only. Sometimes when it rains it actually does really pour. It’s pouring today, although the sky is clear. I am sad and I can't warm up. Tonight I will let myself feel it and pile on the blankets. Maybe tomorrow the sun will be out in force, and the lustiness of May will assert itself once again. Weather changes suddenly here, but tonight, I'm not counting on it.




10 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Sending warmth and tender love in your direction. So sorry to hear about your niece and your mother. Glad you're piling on the blankets!

Anonymous said...

thinking of you...things always shift.....good bad good bad good bad
ann

Moonroot said...

So sorry to hear all your bad news. Wish I was close enough to give you a big hug and make a warming cup of tea. I'm sending you lots of love instead. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Last week was a bit like that for me, too. People really sick, big changes around me.

Love to you, your mother, your niece, your whole family...

Hecate said...

May the Goddess hold you in her v. strong and v. warm arms. May goodness come to all whom you love.

Faerose said...

Many gentle hugs. I am sorry to hear that you have had such a bad time.

I will be thinking of you with love.

Magda xx

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Sun Taurus, moon Taurus.

That's your opposing sun, yes?

May the turning of the moon start to shed some light into those dark spots.

We Know it will get better .

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

More warmth and loving wishes to you, Oak. May the tides of the New Moon turn rosy golden once again for you...

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Oh My Word.

Pay no attention to me - I must be suffering what my son used to call Old Moon Tension myself.

Of course the sun and moon are opposing my sun sign (and my ascendant, just to make life difficult), and squaring yours.

No real excuses-feeling a bit under the weather myself!

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

My love and thoughts to you. My own father was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, it was removed just over a week ago but he has to make major changes and adjustments now. At the age of nearly 86, it's not going to be easy. But as in all things, love around you is a major positive. Keep sending that love, even if it is not known because of the illness, drugs, infection... It will be. x