Friday, September 23, 2005

connecting with the equinox

Today was a quintessential San Francisco fall day. The air was as crisp as a granny smith apple, the light had that honeyed hue I love so much, and there was the occasional gust of wind to picturesquely toss around leaves. The energies of the day turned out to be all about reconnection. Operators were standing by, and the calls came pouring in.

I called a friend on her cell phone and she just happened have just run into my old coven mate, Gwydion. Gwydion and I rarely see each other any more - but I trust him to show up in my life when I really need him. Today, by so called coincidence, I found out that he was about to embark on a trip to Iceland. I’m glad to know it, Iceland figured into some of our coven’s fantasies, spurred on by Reya and her desire for a puffin farm. It will be good to imagine Gwydion there in the coming weeks. So strange that at this juncture one of us is actually heading for Iceland!

A call from another friend prompted me to call someone I haven’t spoken to in months. I’m glad I did. This is one of my oldest friends. He’d just told the truth to his wife about something he’s been hiding for way too long. The power of the truth never ceases to amaze. His voice was so much fuller of life and spirit. In the past, he has been in incredible fear of what was going to happen if the truth came out. I know he’s still afraid, but it has such a different quality. It’s expansive and not constricted. He’s no longer afraid of what’s going to happen, he’s facing that many things could happen, and outside of staying truthful, he hasn’t much control. That’s scary, but oh so different from the fear involved in trying to keep a lie under control.

I got off the phone, and there was a message waiting. An old initiate of mine was about to fly back home from a visit here and wondered if we could get together this evening. We’d lost contact for many years, and her initiation was one which triggered an intense reaction afterwards. I’ve always wondered how it had all been processed, and if she still considered herself a priestess and/or witch. I met her over at some other friend’s house and there was instant re-engagement. She’s now a homeopath and clearly the name she got at that initiation and her identity as a witch is still strong. We had one of those rich conversations which affirms that more is going on between the worlds than we can ever know, that our connection has never been severed and even although we haven’t been in literal contact, our connection has still been cooking.

After visiting awhile, I went to dinner with another of my oldest friends and her partner. She and I were lovers years ago in college, and she just moved back here last early spring. Her partner is a delight, and our friendship is experienceing a renaissance. We ate an assortment of delicately flavored dishes of a Himalayan restaurant and made plans to spend time up at my land. After the meal, coming home, I felt full in a way that went far beyond taking in a good meal. The whole day was a dish to digest!

The fashion sense in the Craft sucks, all that faux medieval style I find rather dorky. But holding the seasons as sacred, that's a great part of being a witch! Observing the sabbats serves to remind me to tune into the energies of the wheel turning. This sabbat, this equinox, I’m aware how important it is right now to strengthen and honor my connections. What a fabulous day this was. I'm full to the brim with this feast!

1 comment:

Reya Mellicker said...

Deborah may you never hunger!

I love you,
Reya