Sunday, March 20, 2011

tipping the balance

The wind is fierce and the rain heavy.
The avocado tree lashes against the bedroom window.
Who can sleep amidst this stormy change?

The tree threatens to break into my room
And somewhere, there is war, hunger, sudden and slow death
I pull the covers close.

All I can do is breathe and love, which dilutes the fear.
Listening to the hard rain and the pounding of branches
I lean into my heart and wait for shattered glass.

Have I told you how much I love this world?



I wrote that last night amidst the mighty storm here in San Francisco. Today is spring equinox in a world tipped mightily out of balance. I wait for the disaster(s) to come through my windows or doors.. to impact me as so many people around the world are impacted. And yet, my good life continues, and I do sleep through the night in a warm bed, well fed, content with my work, surrounded by beauty and love.

Last night I worried about the tree, and my window, and knew I would have to get this tree cut down as it is dangerous to the building. We'd talked about this before, as the tree also blocks so much light out of the garden and has grown in a way that is awkward and top heavy. This morning, I woke to the tree filling the backyard, having cracked and blown over in the night, miraculously not waking me. No need to cut it down now! And any damage done is to the arugula and maybe the rhubarb. We were going to work in the garden this weekend and put in new plants. The rain curtailed this.

My heart is aching from world events, but today, looking at the tree in the garden, I marveled at my luck and gave thanks. It is equinox. With every day, the light will increase in my garden. I will have the tree cut up and taken away, and I thank it for not hurting my home. I will grow more arugula and rhubarb and put in zucchini and other vegetables.

The wheel will turn. And I will keep loving this world.




1 comment:

Anne said...

I'm so glad, sweetie, that when the tree cracked, it cracked without harming your home and your bodies.

Many blessings to you this spring!