Tuesday, June 17, 2008

love conquers all

One great thing about great loves is that just when you think you couldn’t be more in love, you find yourself turning it up another notch. Today, my love affair with this city called San Francisco went up to eleven.

Standing in the morning light in the rotunda of City Hall, with the bust of Harvey Milk beaming at me, I, for the second time this lifetime, performed a wedding ceremony for my friends Morgaine and Lann. It was nineteen years ago today that I handfasted them on the beach at Point Reyes in Northern California. Afterwards, the wedding party went back to their Lagunitas home to feast and celebrate into the night. I still can remember the mountain of summer strawberries. Today, there was no feast or party afterward, except for the cupcakes that were given to each couple when they received a marriage license and the cheer that went up when they flashed it to the crowd that was waiting outside of City Hall. My friends were legalizing something that had come to fruit many years back. We took only a few hours off this morning to get it done. But, those few hours proved to be potent.

I didn’t expect to cry so much. Is there any force quite as powerful as love? The slyness of it never ceases to amaze me. I invoke love often, but still, so often it sneaks up on me. The way the heart seems to catch, and then expand, the welling up of inexplicable tenderness…it comes when it will, and I should have expected it to hit me like tidal wave today, but somehow, I didn’t. No matter how often invoked, there's no way to prepare for when it truly comes and for the workout it gives the heart when it fully inhabits it. There's a reason some pray on their knees. When love overtakes you, it both exalts and drops you down.

Last night, watching the news, my girlfriend sobbed watching Del and Phyliss make their vows. I was moved, but was also savoring what Jewelle Gomez, a black lesbian who got married last round when it was an act of civil disobedience and wasn’t going to this round when it has become legal, recently said; “Just because we sat in at Woolworths didn’t mean we liked the food”.


But there I was today, crying my eyes out in the rotunda, my heart opening like a golden gate, falling all over again in love with San Francisco, in awe of the craziness of licensing love, and the exquisite wackiness of humans and their rituals. A Pagan Priestess legally marrying her lesbian friends in the rotunda of City Hall, with cameras clicking and love conquering all.

I live in a city that has a bust of a gay rights activist smack dab in the middle of City Hall. He caught and held my eye in the midst of it all. I think that golden idol was as alive as anything. He was smiling today.

I am too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Morgaine and Lann. I am so happy that I have lived long enough to see that this marker we call 'legal marriage' has come to at least some of the queers living in the States. I remember when this issue began to tear the queer community into quite divisive camps around such statements as; We do not need the state's permission to love who we love. We deserve the same civil rights as anyone else. We are a unique people beyond the over-culture's understanding. We are essential to the changes needed for this world to survive. We are the same as any other human being. Now folks can look more closely at these questions from a place of legal safety in two of our states.

I am so happy that not every queer couple in the USA need spend the $1,000s of dollars in legal fees that Mark and I had to pay in order to have the basic rights of any legally married heterosexual couple here in Minnesota. I am only hope and pray that Californians dare to keep their rights intact in the coming November elections.

Anonymous said...

I was sooo happy to see Del and Phyllis beaming from the front page of the paper! They are foremothers of note! Without the Daughters of Bilitis, where would we be today?

And Jewelle is smart and eloquent as always.

Glad Lann and Morgaine got hitched. Again!

No matter what anyone thinks of civil marriage, a government should give equal rights to all citizens.

And to cheer us up further, here's a little song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixkck8QnjY

explaining how all the world's problems can be blamed on gay marriage. It is sweet and funny.

Mwah!

Moonroot said...

Beautiful!

Baruch said...

I was living in Vermont when the first civil union battles happened, and battles they were. The testimonies given in the legislature as the bill was being considered were moving. Some were about love and liberation, and some were about fear and hatred. Certainly the predictions that civil unions would destroy families have not come to pass.

Now, seeing the marriages in California, and knowing that this is again being used as a wedge issue by folks like the Family Research Council http://frc.org all those memories come back.

Congratulations to your friends!

love,
Baruch

Greg Fletcher-Marzullo said...

As I read this, I heard the rich laugher of Juno, Queen of Heaven. I don't think it's coincidental that during her month these life-sustaining commitments are being made - right around her height of power, the full moon.

She sits in her lunar chariot, waving sacred herbs over the blessed, sending her rays of compassion, deep love, kindness and wisdom not only into the lives of those marrying, but into the lives of the witnesses, of all present who dare to foster and nurture the life blood of our communities.

And in her eyes the stars reflect love, beauty and the deep, ancient power of relationships that knit together entire cultures. This is her magick.

Oh, how delightful!

(Juno's been on my mind a lot lately. Not only is she a matron of mine, but my hubby and I just celebrated our anniversary a couple days ago - the full moon.)

Anonymous said...

A great, uplifting entry. Thank you for this. x

lia said...

thanks for linking to my post! it is such a beautiful story.

love from one earth-worshipping pagan to another :)