Monday, April 10, 2006

the spot and the X

It’s been over a week that I’ve been in Britain, first in England, and now in Wales. Tonight I’m in what is considered the spiritual heart of Wales, St. David’s. I can see why. This afternoon I sat on a cliff above the sea, paying homage to the beauty all around me. Behind me were the ruins of an ancient chapel, with its accompanying holy well. And as with most sacred Christian sites in this land, it happens to be surrounded by the remains of a stone circle. St. David’s is a small village, remarkable for its ancient cathedral that would be better suited for a major city. It’s sacred site a-go-go around here! Sitting on the cliff, with the myriad light jewels sparkling in the water below, I felt the thrum of life humming in everything.

Tonight is the first time I’ve been alone in a long, long time. At home, it’s unusual to have a night alone. Since landing in Britain, I’ve spent every evening in the company of friends. After the week of build-up to doing two initiations, and the celebrating that came afterward, I needed some downtime. I’ve been staying at Susan’s farm house near Carmarthan, the supposed birthplace of Merlin. Susan was one of the priestess’s initiated, and she drove me here today. The cell phone I brought which was supposed to work has not, and there is no internet available here. So the aloneness is palpable. I’m enjoying it immensely.

In this most mythic of settings, it’s been a mythic week. Without forethought, these initiations were scheduled close to the year anniversary of my Feri coven sister’s ritual of commitment to Lucifer. This was a move which all the rest of us were solidly against, and which have rendered the fabric between us all, but has also provided the unique gift of making me carefully shine a light on what of Feri and Reclaiming I value, and jettisoning what smacks of sorcery. So strange, the disparate paths the members of the coven Triskel/Triskets have taken!! I find myself here on this wild coast, thinking about my own path, and thinking about this human quest for power and our compulsion to make monuments to the sacred…creating structures that sing “power abides here!”, creating the X that marks the spot.

Gazing down at the swirling water this afternoon, wildflowers all around, I could feel the power of the elements in this place, the uniquely stunning mix they make here that causes all but the most sensory blocked human to be in awe of the beauty of this planet. Years ago, when I was teaching magic to activists, one asked me about “creating” sacred space. She asked “Isn’t every spot on earth sacred?” Today I thought a lot about that, how, yes, this whole planet is sacred…and every moment also. “Creating” sacred space is really a sort of remembering that we stand in sacred space, and places like this are not anymore sacred than others, but something about their beauty and particular energy helps us remember to breathe deeplyand cherish the moment. Sitting on the edge of the cliff, I didn’t need a stone circle or mighty cathedral to worship the fierce intricacy of Gaia, or to give thanks for the gift of being alive.

Could there be a connection between the urge of humans to create monuments and our urge to create rituals? With both, it seems it’s important to not lose sight that they are only a means of remembering, the spot remains, whether marked with an X or not. I felt clearly this round of initiations that I don’t pass power at all, but something about the ritual reminds or wakes up the initiate to the power that has been in them all along, the simple current of life force that sings thru all of us, just as these rocks, ruins, and mighty cathedral serve as signposts to what is actually already here. What could be better?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so gratified you're having such a blissful, wonderful time over here! I am disappointed we haven't had the chance to meet in person this time round, but the phone conversation we had the other day reinforced the sustaining connection we share and reminded me at a difficult time family-wise of the importance of energetically bold friendships. Both David and I are very grateful for the support which overflows from your heart towards us, with regards to our adoption proceedings and we take heart from everything you had to say about that the other day. I told him what you had to say about the work we have to do being similar to some of your rites of passage teachings; we can both see the connection with what we have to do to become adoptive parents. It makes us both smile.

I've thought much since we spoke about the subject of healing, and wholeness; also, about the strange beauty of the connections we make when open to them.

Who'd have thought we'd become such friends after meeting once at camp a year and almost a half ago? And that your mosaic on my wall would act as a connector between souls. The fact that David noticed it shining upon your arrival in Wales for the initiations was and is something to be amazed about - and I am looking at it right now and wishing you many, many fantastic memories of your time here.

I do hope it won't be long before you bless this land and your friends here with your physical presence again; and I remain hopeful of getting the money together so that David and I can come see you across the water! It will happen. The only unknown is timing.

Your post about the nature of sacred space, and the sacred soil itself across our beautiful planet, gives me much to think about. I have spent the afternoon this Good Friday clearing the back garden of winter detritus, preparing the patio for summer nights to come in good company.

May you continue to put into practice that which you enshrined in your mosaic. I 'close my eyes and jumped'. Indeed you did, and what blessings result from that! I continue to learn from what you write here, and while I still have no coven or physical witch community here in West Yorkshire, I continue to feel sustained and nurtured by our wonderfully mysterious connection and by your wise words. Peace to you this holiday time, and safe but bold adventures! x

Reya Mellicker said...

I LOVED St. David's. Did you realize that some of those plants on the cliff are bracken? Who knew? I thought bracken was something made up by 19th century novelists, but no, it is real.

The water at the base of those cliffs is amazing, too, isn't it? So greenish-blue, like the Caribbean. The Brits told me the water around Cornwall is even more beautiful. We'll have to go sometime.

So glad you got some time to yourself in Wales. I love Wales, but I love you even more.

Reya Mellicker said...

And I forgot - Welsh surfers! Have you seen them?

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Here....

Thank you Oak for passing on this whole cultural experience of Blogg.

I was introduced to a friends experience of Lucifer a couple of years ago. I understood from her experience and my sense in that ritual as being light and joy.
I was intrigued as what she appeared to be calling in was not what I associated with the name Lucifer

I then researched. And what I came up with was such a diverse mix of contexts, histories, meanings...from venus...to light bringer...to scapegoat...to devil...mary magadeline...fallen angel...knowledge bringer...

What I realized was that I was attracted to the scapegoat. I can see how I've played that role.
And I have been attracted to the glamour of the rejected one/one on the edge. This attraction I have found in the name witch and the witchcraft culture including Reclaiming. It has had an allure for me.

I have also reflected on, over many occasions when working rituals either on my own and/or with others...how can I be sure on my intent on what I am bringing in/calling in?

Therefore in calling in a name like Lucifer which is ladden by so much that has so many meanings....who knows what you'll bring in?

This links in for me with the another witchy thing of doing spells. Again who knows how clear one's intention is. Us humans think we can see all sides but we are limited in our vision on how interconnected things are.

I have for many reasons and for over 2 years now been clearing my energy space, my body, my way of being. And have been working with Opening my heart.
opening my heart to compassion...to acceptance...I aim to BE...to connect...to be open to communicate clearly.

I want clarity.

Blessings
Elizabeth in London