Sunday, March 26, 2006

uncomfortable

“Compassion is generally considered to be a good
thing, but I’ve seen people invoke it in a way that seems to turn their
brains to mush. “I know Bush is doing bad things, but I do bad things too,
and we need to send him love and compassion.” That’s not compassion, that’s
Stockholm syndrome, the psychological phenomenon whereby kidnap victims or
hostages or abused children come to identify with those who hold power over
them, and want to please them.” Starhawk, 2006

Last night I saw the movie “V for Vendetta”, a stunning movie in which characters like Bush are dispatched with an intelligent violent efficiency, part of the means justifying an end which is the uprising of the people and the toppling of a totalitarian regime. It’s a movie I will be thinking about for a long time, with lots to say about revolution, terrorism, the power of symbols, and the difference between ideas and people. Although based on a comic, it’s anything but simple, and found myself enjoying it immensely. I saw it on the heels of reading the strange posting which included the above words from Starhawk on the anniversary of Rachel Corrie’s death. I say strange, because compassion and love for your enemies has always been a hallmark of the teachings of the great spiritual and non-violent revolutionaries, and Starhawk aims to be among their ranks. The heads of Jesus, Martin Luther King, and Ghandi were filled with anything but mush, and my guess is that Rachel Corrie held their stirring words on loving your enemies in her heart, and this in some way, is what she died for. For Starhawk to equate having compassion for one’s enemies as a symptom of “Stockholm syndrome” boggles this witch’s brain, and points to just how hard it is to hold the compassionate viewpoint once you’ve experienced actual violence.


I’ve been thinking a lot about this recently, triggered by my son and his surprising uprising at his progressive school. After a group of seventh graders put up a poster urging George Bush to eat more pretzels, including some disparaging remarks about Republicans, Casey strode into the director of student’s office. He apparently gave quite an impassioned speech, saying that he’d been taught to be tolerant of other people’s beliefs, and he thought that his school valued embracing diversity, but it seemed to be only a certain kind of diversity, not diversity of belief and thought. He carried on, questioning if it was right to root for another person’s death, even if we felt their policies are wrong or evil, and (this is the line that’s given me so much trouble) saying that if he were a from a Republican family, he wouldn’t feel safe or comfortable at the school. The director was pretty shocked, especially given Casey’s background, but after some discussion and thought, the sign came down.

The discussion of this incident with my friends has provoked a variety of responses. Some feel I should be proud of Casey, that he clearly has integrated and made his own the message of tolerance and love for all beings that he has grown up with, and that he clearly has embraced employing “the questioning attitude”. Others feel he’s unclear of the level of atrocities that have been perpetuated by Bush and his ilk, and that this is indicative of an adolescent rebellion against his leftist family and community, one which puts me in danger of producing a right wing conservative son.

At one gathering, Casey held his own in a rousing discussion, with Jeff, a seasoned fifty-something left-wing political writer, and Hillary, a true “elder” of Reclaiming and co-writer of “Twelve Wild Swans”, holding the two poles. Jeff spoke to the absurdity of making those who’ve behaved like Nazis “safe and comfortable” and Hilary defended Casey’s questioning the rightness of suggesting violence to our enemies. I listened intently, finding myself bouncing back and forth between positions. I was struck by my son’s depth of thought and facility in expressing it, even as I found myself wishing he was speaking out about environmental destruction or the degradation of human rights as opposed to questioning how we spoke about those we find oppressive and even evil. How much easier and comfortable the former discussion would be!

I found “V for Vendetta” exhilarating. When the bad guys get whacked, there’s a rush of primal excitement. “An eye for an eye” is so much more immediately gratifying than “turn the other cheek”, and certainly does better at the box office. One of my favorite signs from the big march before the war broke out just happened to be “Have another pretzel, motherfucker!” Even now, thinking about it makes me laugh, the simple revengeful humanness of it, the lack of sanctimoniousness and holier than thou-ness that sometimes can characterize the left. And yet, as uncomfortable as it makes me, I have to side with my son, and with all of those who invoke compassion. My head is not full of mush, but holds the difficult paradox of deeply understanding and even taking dark pleasure in V’s vendetta, even as I envision and try to embrace another way of being, one in which I do the rigorous practice of following the law of love, of having compassion for all beings, and refusing the very idea of “enemies”. This is not Stockholm syndrome, it is damn hard work. I wish it were easier.

6 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

The second I saw the ads for V for Vendetta I knew I would never go to see it. I knew I would hate it.

Casey is my hero.

Anne said...

I'm proud to have been there when Casey was first practicing the skill of breathing. Give him my love, would you? Hugs to both of you.

Anonymous said...

V for Vendetta sounds gory. Is it? I can't handle gore, being a sensitive boy... Actually, that's not entirely true. I saw 'Serenity' which is a great film for our times about social control among other things in a sci-fi context and that had some nasty scenes. Watched the latest Harry Potter DVD this week... unsatisfying, the cuts made were obvious, the action too rushed because the book is huge. Definitely had some amazing scenes and FX but the worst of the films to date. Also saw 'Mrs Henderson Presents' - a beautiful, lovely, inspiring film. I recommend it to you as a 'must see'! Judi Dench is a bit of a goddess, a superb acting talent.

Stockholm Syndrome, eh? I've heard much coming from the Starhawk side of things lately and... what to say... Well, every day I struggle against judgementalism in my own heart. It's a thing you need to work on, well I do.. and work, and work... and maintain that work, because it's harmful and does no good, it only limits you. So when I read things like THAT... Let's just say it saddens me. Gives me a feeling akin to grief. x

Anonymous said...

And then there is the excrutiating paradox of moral purity, that is, one's own purity lived at the expense of other people's lives. There are people who clearly need to be stopped from doing bad things. Lots of options before violence, all of which must be tried. But in the end, when all that is left is a violent act, and we chose pacifism, how are we not responsible for the deaths, injuries, losses of freedom that are the result of unwillingness to stand on the knife's edge?

I deeply honor those brave individuals who will risk their own lives for the sake of others. I equally honor those who are willing to risk their souls for others.

And Casey rocks

Anonymous said...

There are people who clearly need to be stopped from doing bad things. Lots of options before violence, all of which must be tried. But in the end, when all that is left is a violent act, and we chose pacifism, how are we not responsible for the deaths, injuries, losses of freedom that are the result of unwillingness to stand on the knife's edge?

The problem with the above - well, there are many problems with the above, but one specifically - comes in terms of who is the arbiter of what we see as good and bad? I'm thinking of Iraq as a contemporary case-in-point. Or Vietnam. Or, before the phoney war on terror, the war on communism.

A pacifist is not a coward; a pacifist is brave in refusing to accept the lie that violence is ever a solution. Violence only begets more violence; any 'peace' achieved through violence is temporary and illusory. Gandhi is an example of a pacifist who stood on that 'knife's edge' you seem to indicate is only available to those who accept violence, if not as a first option, then as a final one.

It takes more guts to put down the gun than to take it up, even more never to pick the gun up in the first place.

Freedom is never achieved through use of brute force; it only enslaves. I utterly refute the very foundation of your argument, harrisea. There is nothing of moral purity in refusing to condone or take part in violent acts; it is a question of ethical integrity and conviction.

To accuse those who refuse to kill of being responsible for the deaths of those who are murdered in war is breathtakingly arrogant or stupid. I cannot tell which applies here. Perhaps both. x

Anonymous said...

Yep, that Casey is going to give you a run for your money in the next four years. Good for him, and tell him I said so. As for you, Mom, you know we can't control how our children turn out. He may very well end up becoming a conservative talk show host. Who knows?

The thing you can prevent is whether he becomes a good talk show host or a bad one, like O'Reilly and his ilk. Listening carefully, having challenging and respectful discussions about the issues he chooses to stand up for, like you've been doing, is the way to prevent a Hannity in the family. The rest is up to grace, and luck, and his choice of girlfriends.