Wednesday, March 28, 2007

realignment


My friend Fern, who among her many talents is an excellent body worker, has been on me for quite awhile to go to her chiropractor. She’s insisted that my lower back is out of whack in a way that can’t be addressed with massage. I’ve resisted, for unclear reasons. I suppose it just wasn’t time.

Last week I was ready for the changes realignment might bring and so I put myself into Eric’s hands, who turned out to be one of those intuitive healers the Bay Area is graced with. I came out of his office feeling the light headedness of big change. I had been “adjusted”.

So, this week my body has been struggling between accepting this realignment and going back to its old way of holding itself. Mind and spirit have followed suite. Letting go of old pain seems to be the theme, as well as accessing more energy. Thankfully, body, mind, and spirit seem to be united in an effort to settle into this new alignment, to be less constricted. It was time.

This week I exercised more than I have done in a year, swimming regularly again and riding my bike to work. It helps that my girlfriend just added me on to her membership at the swankiest gym in town. But, hey, who believes in coincidence?

My feelings of discomfort concerning Reclaiming, the spiritual tradition I’ve been associated with for over 25 years, also went thru a major readjustment. I joined a newly formed teacher’s guild about a year ago, and this past Sunday we offered a salon. Here’s the description:

What Are We Reclaiming? An Afternoon Salon
Join us in an afternoon salon in which we invoke the questioning
attitude in regards to Reclaiming. Is Reclaiming a tradition, a community, a
network, a cult, or all of the above? Does simply calling yourself a Reclaiming
Witch and saying you embrace the principles of unity make you a Reclaiming
Witch? What does it mean to embrace the principles of unity? What happens when
individuals and communities disagree on what that means? Reclaiming has
been around over two decades. Has some of what we set out to reclaim
been accomplished? If so, what is the intent of Reclaiming now?

These questions didn’t get answered, but there was magic in the asking, Other than checking in and introducing ourselves and giving a little bit of our history in regards to Reclaiming, we only got as far as discussing the difference between a community and a tradition, throwing out words and concepts we associated with both, and then naming what we individually found most important and also what we offer to community and tradition. What seemed important was that there was a space for questions to be asked, for dialogue to ensue. It was noted by one person that Reclaiming classes and the witchcamp culture have gotten better at eliciting feedback, but not dialogue. Rich dialogue was what was being invoked and invited here. With dialogue, I breathe easier.

Two women other than guild members stated that one of their gifts to community and tradition is a social and political analysis. Yes. Thank the Goddess. The impasse I’ve had with local Reclaiming is that those who apply this to the community and tradition have been perceived and proclaimed by several long-time priestesses as attacking others and having personal problems. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that no matter how many times you say you have a problem with the structure, not the people in the structure, and it continues to be framed as personal, eventually it will not only be a problem with the structure you have, but with the people. When both occur, working together becomes insufferable at best, toxic and twisted at worst.

As my lower back releases, so does the mighty twist I’ve been in for years. Was it the questions that drew those to the salon who were skilled at and comfortable with looking beneath the surface of things? A non-profit consultant, an anthropologist, and a psychiatrist were among the many thoughtful folks who filled the room. As the afternoon went on, I found myself settling into something I had not felt locally in ages. I felt pride in my tradition and good about being in a community of folks who were part of my tradition. Although I’ve been teaching for the past many years and drawing students I respect, its been ages since I’ve been in a circle of , outside of my friends and guild members, “wider community” where I felt energized and intellectually and spiritually challenged. I’ve gotten this in other places, notably last year at Spiralheart and before that in England with the Avalon community. But not in the Bay Area. Sunday, that changed.

Today I’ll go swimming again, and probably post the date of our next salon on several Reclaiming lists, which happens to be Sunday, May 20th. The twist in my back is releasing, and I’m learning to hold myself in another way. It’s time I trust that support is there to hold me up. This week, I find myself buoyant.

8 comments:

Moonroot said...

Just wish I was close enough to come to your salons! What a wonderful idea.

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Moonroot.
I didn't connect with Reclaiming (although I'm a Feri apprentice) until last August at Loreley Witchcamp in Europe (I live in NL) - and it's been interesting to see that the same issues that plague the original cels of SF-local Reclaiming are part of a much newer Reclaiming community here.

At least we're allcoming up with the same questions!

Oak, good luck with the realignment and much heartfelt thanks for your blog -

Fortuna from the Netherlands

Anonymous said...

drat.......I am toying with coming over from England for one of my yearly 2/3 visits! However, I know there is another energy workshop that day
run by Cybele/Rose. Wish they didn't clash.
Peace and respect, Ann

steward said...

If anything, I'd call Reclaiming the "anti-cult" - at least judging by the ABCDEF (Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame). The big problem with cults is forcible control; the big problem that I see in Reclaiming is principles that are suggestions and "unity" that is based on disunion of opinions, practices, and interpretations.

It might be interesting to look at Reclaiming through the lens of a very sarcastic piece written by some members of the Spiralheart community, the "Disclaiming Principles of Conformity".

Reya Mellicker said...

I'm so happy you're getting great bodywork! As you know, I'm a true believer.

And the salon sounds wonderful. Bravo!

Letting go of old pain, always a feature of springtime holidays in many trads, is really huge this spring. I'm feeling it, too.

To your lower back's realignment and the release of old pain. Onwards & upwards!

Anonymous said...

I was able to come to the salon. What a meeting!....and yet, we'd just gotten started when it was time to go
(a pagan get-together that ends on time? What's the world coming to?)

the conversation that was started.......should continue. Hopefully it is, for those of us who know each in the world.

The combination of the GoodHairGang plus random others that were able to be in that room at that time: if there's any way to meet together again and pick up the conversation where it left off/was starting........would be a powerful thing. Because, as was said: Dialogue (as in give and take) is important. And the practice of Dialogue on the stated questions......IS important. And will (again) change the world.

Esp if folks all over that've been touched by Reclaiming take it up. And how better to start?

Please?

This spring, this year....is coming in so beautifully/strongly. That fresh breeze that's blowing thru us all.....ahhhhhh WELCOME and HAIL

genexs said...

I feel a little out of my depth here, as I've only been at this for 3 years or so, and only just now have been doing some coven work. If I understand what you mean by 'dialog', I find the dialog with my local group a bit wanting. I love dialog and the energy that comes from interactivity, irl and with the internet--it's what I'm use to. Heh, other groups I've been involved with have been over-the -top in the dialog department. So, it seems strange to me that some of the wiccans/pagans I'm meeting are a bit stilted. I don't know if I'm being clear here, but it's as if I can't get a reaction out of people.
Btw, hope you are maintaining your adjustment.

captain said...

OAK,

I love you so much.
You rock my world.
Thanks for being you
Happy continued adjustment.

love queerly
captain