Saturday, March 17, 2007

Kiss Me, I love Manannan Mac Lir!




I like the wearing of green. That's good, and I tend to do it every year on this day. Any rituals that the
overculture does that remotely connect to anything celebrating the natural world I breathe into heartily. A number of my ancestors hail from the Emerald Isle, and I know they smile on the big party that celebrates all that is Irish. Saint Patrick, well, he is a damn problem.

How can a good pagan get behind the guy who is purported to have run the pagans out of Ireland? It can't be done. Yet, strangely, the holiday has hints of paganism attached to it. I can just feel it. The green, certainly, not to mention the drinking, and the kissing. And if the pagan magic was really run out of Ireland, why the ever pervasive
leprechauns? If ol' Patrick really had such a problem with pagans, wouldn't he be having a fit to see those little people used to symbolize his day? Come to think of it, THEY should be having a fit about it. Don't we pagans have a better relationship with leprechauns and their ilk than Christians?

Thank goodness, Anne over at The Gods Are Bored has helped me come up with a solution to my Saint Patrick's Day dilemma. From here on out, I'm going to consider it Manannan Mac Lir Day. This, I can get behind with verve. Read Anne's interview with him, it is truly fabulous. All hail,
Manannan Mac Lir! Seems to me, you would enjoy a pint of brew and a shot of Irish Whiskey tipped in your honor much more than that other guy.






6 comments:

Mama Kelly said...

Next year I have a new holiday.

Blessings

mama kelly

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I'm 'way more Welsh than Irish, and I've never celebrated this holiday before - but , taking tips from you and Anne, I just may.

In my Scottish house Tartan of course!

Love,
Terri in Joburg
(proud daughter of House McKay and House George)

Reya Mellicker said...

Kissing? Are you supposed to kiss on St. Pat's Day?? I did the drinking part, but no kissing. It's not fair.

My mother detested the holiday and always wore orange on March 17. I wonder why? Guess I'll never know now.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be visiting my brother in Ireland on St Patricks Day. I notice the Catholics wore green and 'the proddies' wore orange so that may be the answer to reya.
Going into the smaller towns that had red white and blue kerb stones showing support for being part of England, then half way thr. the green orange and white bunting indicating support for the other side! was eye opening. First time in my life I felt glad to been raised catholic.
xann from england

Greenconsciousness said...

Reya Mellicker

Wasn't there a war between the greens and the oranges?Some names like that - between England and Ireland?

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

I love this! What a great twist on this hard to celebrate day. A good excuse to go out and buy my sweetie a new bottle of Irish whiskey!