Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Bitch slapped by the Goddess


Two weeks ago there was a notable eclipse. I won’t be forgetting it, as that was the day I came home and began a new phase of life. I had spent four days and three nights in the underworld of institutionalized western medicine, a shamanic immersion if there ever was one. I'd walked into the emergency room with what I thought was a small matter that would be taken care of with antibiotics. I walked out several days later with the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, armed with insulin, syringes, a glucometer, and yes, antibiotics too.

In between the going in and coming out, I was treated for diabetic ketoacidosis, as well as the virulent and resistant MRSA staph that is plaguing this city. Thankfully, the staph culture eventually came back negative. Ketoacidosis has a high enough mortality rate as it is. Teamed with staph, my chances of survival would have been uncomfortably dicey.

Interpreting the dream of those few days was rather easy. I started out worried about a skin eruption that was located right next to my belly button. Something smack dab in the center of me was definitely off kilter. My intuition to have my blood sugar checked turned out to be eerily on target. Without my insistence on a blood sugar test, I could have been sent home with massive amounts of antibiotics that wouldn't have touched the raging ketoacidosis. Always follow the intuition; it has its own science. Regular medical check-ups couldn't hurt as well.

I had many hours in the creepy isolation room in the ER to wake up to the fact that something was seriously wrong with me, and that my partner, one of the most neurotically germ-phobic characters around, is as stalwart a soul as you can find. Then, after a Kafkaesque interchange with a doctor who started out asking "When did you start using IV drugs?”, it became clear that my chart contained the misinformation that I was both an IV drug user AND a smoker. Apparently, a medical chart IS your permanent record, and once something is on there, nobody is willing to take it off. And guess what? Nobody believes an IV drug user is telling the truth. The irony of me having to mount a campaign to have this taken off my chart is not lost on me.

Being an IV drug user and a smoker communicates that you are a person who engages in risky and life-threatening behavior and that you are much more concerned with momentary pleasure as opposed to long term health. I continue to fight to have this information removed, while also facing that, although diabetes does run in my family, my steadily increasing weight over the last ten years has contributed heavily (yes, pun intended) to invoking this disease. Losing even 10% of my body weight could put this disease into remission. Exercise is the key to lowering the blood sugar and the truth of the matter is that with more exercise, I would weigh less.

Last year after Pantheacon, I had a dream of Margot Adler telling me something important that I couldn't remember upon waking. Margot caused a stir last year at Pantheacon by challenging Pagans to take better care of our health, of making exercise part of our lives. Like many others in the community, I have heartily embraced the philosophy of “eat, drink, and be merry”. For real health and well being, that should best be followed by a good walk. Many of us prefer a good book. I had applauded Margot’s challenge last year, but I hadn’t truly listened to it.

For the past two weeks I've exercised everyday and I am no longer eating anything in the white family – flour/sugar/potatoes/rice/. I also am not drinking alcohol. My glucometer provides instant gratification after exercising. If my blood sugar is raised, all it takes is 20 minutes of moving to bring it down substantially. So, I'm keeping my body moving. My pedometer is showing between three to five miles walked a day, and I am committed to keeping it this way. I've upped my swimming to more than three times a week. Today, miraculously, I didn't inject insulin and my blood has remained at completely normal levels. It's looking like that I will be able to manage the diabetes with simple changes in diet and with steady exercise. This changing consciousness at will just may be the biggest piece of magic I perform in this lifetime.

It couldn’t have come without a fast and furious bitch slap from the Goddess. Four days and three nights in a hospital have turned me around. I am grateful and, most importantly, I am alive.


24 comments:

judy g said...

congratulations on day 1 without insulin. the worst part was when you went in the bathroom in the isolation room with bare feet....you are impervious and i am woody allen.

Mercury Redbone said...

I don't like the reality of the condition, but I am grateful for your intuition and the other factors you describe!

Pitch313 said...

About the exercise. When I took up mountain biking 15 years ago--on medical advice to get more exercise--most of my Neo-Pagan pals didn't get why anybody would want to ride a bicycle over open ground.

Or dress like a mountain biker.

But mountain biking, and the places it takes me, has become an important part of my practice. Besides providing a lot of fun and aiding my overall fitness.

Keep on, as we used to say, truckin!

Johanna-Hypatia said...

Best of health to you, luv! You're important to us.

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

Oh, Oak! I've been checking in every day and wondering where you were. I am so glad you listened to your guidance and are still here with us.

Sending you lots more healing..

Anonymous said...

I will always treasure the memory of being part of the (unwittingly) last drink before your diagnosis. That delicious Irish coffee in my hotel room at pcon (and, we may as well admit, a lovely bottle of chardonnay as well) with our wonderful friends--you couldn't have chosen a better way to go out, in my opinion! At least the Goddess does give us these sweet moments, before landing a blow to the jaw.

Inanna said...

Holy cow! You're not the only one getting bitch slapped by the Goddess these days, but what a swift and dramatic turn your life took! I'm so glad you're okay. And congratulations on making big, swift strides in the direction of your longterm health, too. Blessings.

Hecate said...

I am so glad that you are ok!

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I am so shocked.
But grateful, too, that you are well enough to write about it-I treasure your insights.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Anonymous said...

So glad that you're able to get parts of this changed so quickly!!

Hopefully the rest of us can take your experience as wake-up calls as well........as you said, we pagans seem to take the Celebrating part quite seriously, but not necessarily the Keep Our Bodies Together part as well.

I'm so glad you listened to your intuition....and are feeling much better.

Moonroot said...

I'm so sorry that you've been ill in hospital - and so glad you are OK. It sounds like you're coping with your new lifestyle really well - bravo!

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Oak,

I am so sorry that you have joined the club. It is an amazing life living day to day with life threatening diseases. It does bring about dramatic changes, some good, some out right horrible. Nevertheless, I have never called these conditions a blessing or a curse. I have grown and have even learned to thrive while living with AIDS and diabetes. They are simply results of living life as an organic being here in Midgard. Choices were made... often in complete ignorance. Yet, I still dare to declare every morning, 'I dare to dwell in beauty, balance and delight. I dare to see with clear eyes and an open heart.'

I long to hold you in my arms, Deborah.

Donald

Anonymous said...

Hooray for exercise! My daily walks are what keep me alive as well... mentally as well as physically.

Enjoy the moving meditation.

Kat

Anonymous said...

I love to hear that you are paying attention and taking care of yourself.

Synnove

Reya Mellicker said...

Deborah, I salute your intuition - so glad you're taking good care. I'm sending every positive, healing vibration I can muster. It must have been so scary in the hospital, though - you're very brave.

Much much much much much love to you!

Zahara Celestial said...

Dear Oak,
I am so relieved to hear that you are now out of Hospital and better. My partner has just had to go onto insulin. So your blog is really helpful. He's noticed as well that when he's excercised his blood count is very good. Thank you for sharing. I very much look forward to seeing you in Spring.
Dragonfly {Elizabeth}

Anonymous said...

You are a tough and determined nut, and I''m so proud of you for being able to get off that insulin so quickly through your hard work.

I know it's hard to have to act like me and Judy with our food things, but I also know you're doing it with your own sort of Amy Sedaris style:)

thanks for the eclipse link too:)

love you!
Fern

Anonymous said...

thank you for the heads up before reading this...it is one of many reasons why you are so damn great. Coping isn't so much in the "how" but in being in the "now." love k

Anne said...

Well! Darlin'!

Glad you're alive, glad you'll be well, glad that we've invented lots of useful tools to handle diabetes.

much much love, Pandora

Reya Mellicker said...

I don't think the goddess bitch slapped you. Why would she? I think people get sick. They always have everywhere and throughout time. Every culture has at its center a medical structure and practice, and every one of those structures is faulty at best.

The goddess would never bitch slap you. You're just sick. Thinking of you.

Dj Connell said...

What a splendid post. Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us. This was an inspiring read.

I came to Paganism, in part, because this path respects our connection to life and does not treat the body or sex as something shameful or sinful. I was then
surprised to find that so many Pagans abuse themselves with what I call the 3 Pagan demons: stress, mess and excess. We women, in particular, rejoice to find our connection to the divine feminine but very often we continue to treat our precious Selves like %$#. I, for one, struggle with the need to make healthy choices every day.

Anyone who wants support on this Path is welcome here:

Spiral Steps Support Groups:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/spiral-steps/

This group is based on Earthwise Ethics and all are welcome.

Regards,

Sia

Unknown said...

oh darling oakie,

I'm so very glad to read that you are taking such good care of yourself, that is something I will expect of you. I too have started the process of eating well and excercise (thirty pounds down since last we met) and have even been seen eating some vegatables...
anyhoo, the point is, your health means a great deal to me and I am pleased as punch that you are attending to it.

with love bigger than is probably comfortable,

shiney

Nulaanne said...

I work in the medical field and there is such a thing as Medical Identiy Theft. I would get copies of your records and go throught them. Then report and document all that is not about you.

Anonymous said...

I'm told that there is no need for special diabetic foods, and that diabetics can eat perfectly ordinary foodstuffs by being mindful of their intake and what it's made up of - which, frankly, is advice I believe everyone, not just diabetics, should take given how much food is adulterated with chemicals and other unnecessaries which can be detrimental to health, even too much sugar and fat and salt. And then there's GM food creeping into the food chain and definitely something to watch for...

I've found increasingly over the past few years that my spirituality as a witch has become very much that of a kitchen witch, and my beliefs and practices are now wholly bound up into an awareness of ecology, environmental issues, the need to relearn how to work with the land in growing food for one's own family.

People ask me why I'm so into calling for self-sufficiency, I tell them it's to take charge of my own health and food intake, and because I feel the Goddess compels us all to move away from artificiality and back to a relationship with the soil.

The soil is, as much as anything, the flesh of Her body; the rocks that lie beneath, the hot lava, are Her bones and Her blood. x