Wednesday, March 26, 2008

the times that try our souls

"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." – Thomas Paine, published 12/23/1776

Two nights ago there was a vigil in downtown San Francisco organized by the Veterans for Peace to mark the U.S. death count in Iraq reaching 4000. Last week was the fifth anniversary of the war. As this war progresses, there will be a growing number of those in the military who turn against it and realize that they can not in good conscience keep fighting.

In times where war is waged for unjust reasons, there are always those who do not shrink from speaking out and resisting. During the Vietnam War, once that resistance came from within the military itself, the war drew closer to its end. In a brilliant twist on Thomas Paine's term "summer soldier" those veterans who did not shrink from speaking out against the war termed themselves "winter soldiers". The first Winter Soldier gathering occurred in 1971. At seventeen, my friends and I listened to the chilling testimony coming over the radio of atrocities both committed and witnessed. It was a powerful act of magic, a powerful act of changing consciousness at will. How could we not give love and thanks for the courage it took for these soldiers to speak out about what they had seen and done? How could we not see them as true patriots?

My friend Michael McCusker was a Winter Soldier. I respect him more than I can put into words. A veteran of Vietnam who turned against war, he committed the rest of his life to peacefully challenging tyranny. War changes people. How can it not? As much damage as it does, it also can bring about spiritual awakenings and a deep commitment to non-violence.

Once again, these trying times find us needing to give love and thanks to soldiers who speak out. This time, it’s a different war, but the stories stay the same. This time, it was soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. They too call themselves Winter Soldiers. Like last time, it was an event not covered by the major networks or television stations. Those who listen to KPFA or other Pacifica radio stations knew of it, but otherwise, it was under the radar of most Americans. That does not mean it is not potent and powerful. It is magic. Speaking out, these soldiers practiced the art of changing consciousness at will. I am choosing to believe that the Winter Soldiers will lead many more to examine their consciences and whole heartily object to this war.

Pagans fought long and hard for the basic right of a Pagan soldier to have a pentacle put on his tombstone. Soon we may be supporting the right of Pagan soldiers to claim conscientious objector status and be released from fighting.

There are many Pagans who do not consider themselves pacifists, who are not committed to non-violence. And, there are many that are. One of the things I hold dear about my spirituality is that within Paganism, there are many paths and many temples. Integral to being a practicing Pagan is respecting that there are many God/desses, and many ways of seeing the world. To me, I see no contradiction in a soldier in battle wearing a pentacle for protection and other Pagan soldiers asking to be released from battle because of their spiritual convictions. I honor both, but my spiritual affinity is with those who seek deferment.

I’ve a love/hate relationship with Reclaiming, but I am ever so grateful that this tradition I’ve been part of creating has the following within its Principles of Unity:

“Our tradition honors the wild, and calls for service to the earth and the community. We value peace and practice non-violence, in keeping with the Rede, “Harm none, and do what you will.”

I consciously and conscientiously object to war. I know that there are plenty of Pagans outside my tradition who feel the same. In the trying times ahead, some of them may be soldiers who have seen enough, whose stomachs, hearts, and minds turn against war and killing. There is also the possibility that the draft could be reinstated and conscientious objector status will once again be sought by the many who have never even considered being a soldier. If this happens, my son may be among them.

Thank you, Winter Soldiers. You have my love and my thanks. Your magic was in speaking out. May all of us Pagans who abhor war and practice nonviolence invoke the same magic and speak out.

I am a conscientious objector.

Are you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

love to you

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I abhore this war, too - and most, if not all, wars waged since the Industrial Revolution, purely for the fact that they were waged for profit, for greed, for the enrichment of a few who consider themselves entitled and who willingly cast other people's children into the sacrifice.

But I don't practise non-violence exclusively, as I believe there are times, places and causes for which the appropriate response is violence.
So yes, I'm a cosnientious objector, but not a pacifist.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Aquila ka Hecate said...

..err..that's conscientious objector!

..Terri

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Oak.

This is such good work to explore and question.

I look forward to hearing more about how folks define non-violence, pacifism, living in peace and such. For instance, does defending oneself always imply an act of physical violence need take place?

Oh, so many questions!

May we all dare to dwell in beauty, balance and delight.

Donald

Shephard said...

I am.
Very nicely written. Enjoyed visiting your blog. :)
~S

Yewtree said...

I am a conscientious objector, and a pacifist. Violence begets violence. But I follow the Chinese proverb: "Hurt rather than harm, harm rather than maim, maim rather than kill, kill rather than destroy utterly". In other words, do the least violent thing possible to solve the problem.

Anonymous said...

I am heart-broken.

Having spent years working w/ VVAW (VietnamVets Against the War) back when......it's heart-breaking (is there a stronger word?) to raise my head and find we're in the same place again.

Having worked w/the 1st round Winter Soliders, time in WashingtonDC w/ them testifing etc........I want to tear my hair & rage & rend my clothes etc.....that we're at the same place, another generation (and way more than 4,000 deaths)later.

Sure, it's desert instead of swamp-land....big difference. How much room is there for Memorials in DC?

There are days (and worse, nights) where it's hard to remember that We, the People Stopped A War..........

and now, there's been another Winter Solider testimony & another generation of ____Vets Against The War......

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reya Mellicker said...

There's no more room for memorials to dead soldiers in DC, and very little room left in Arlington National Cemetary for military dead.

Humans have always fought wars, everywhere on earth throughout our history. It seems to be part of our hard-wiring.

If wars were still fought hand-to-hand or with swords, or bows and arrows, it wouldn't be so costly. But we make really big guns and really big bombs these days.

It makes me so sad.

Anonymous said...

any sense of a permanent hotwire just an illusion, like moon on the water, everything is always changing. The human habit to engage in aggression and warfare is a habit, that's all. Because humans are slaves to our habits of mind. Led by the nose leash, just sleepwalking. Thank goodness that with effort all have the power to change consciousness at will. may the 100th monkey wake up all muggles quickly and even more quickly

Anonymous said...

I'd agree with aquila ka hecate, but note the proviso of 'most if not all' - because whatever was going on politically behind the scenes during WW2, I know why my father thought he fought in that war, and what he thought was important. He was fighting against a ruthless, vicious dictator determined to have the whole world under his thumb and wipe out all the Jews, queers and anyone disabled in any way. Completely.

So while I would be a conscientious objector under most every conceivable circumstance, I think I might well have fought in that war. I'm certainly proud of my dad, and the many others who worked so hard to give us the freedoms we so often take for granted today and, when it comes to attacks on our civil liberties, often don't think how hard-fought for they were by our parents and grandparents. x