Thursday, February 22, 2007

moving into pisces

Maybe it was Pantheacon, or maybe it was the moving into Pisces, but my nights have been filled with a multitude of vivid dreams. Among other things, I’ve been busy attending in my dreams all the workshops I missed at P-Con. I don’t regret for a second staying home to honor and bask in the perfection of Friday night and Saturday day, but it just so happened that this meant I missed two of the talks that I wanted to attend. One was the talk by Margot Adler, who just may have the best overview today of the history and diversity of this new “old religion”. She’s done me the courtesy of making several appearances in my dreams, imparting all sorts of wisdom that of course I can’t exactly recall. I’m thinking Margot is actually pretty wise, as from what I heard she said we’ve got to stop trotting out our “lineages” and we need to take better care of ourselves physically. Yes, and more yes. It is time to be adults, realize we can’t party without consequences forever and time to stand on our own accord, not being defined by our parents…or those who initiated us into the Craft.

I’ve been a witch for just over thirty years now, with the Craft/Neopaganism being not much older than that. In talking to my friend Reya, she pointed out that this means the Craft is now passing its first Saturn cycle, that it indeed is becoming an adult. In astrology, the “Saturn Return” is the time between the ages of 28 and 30 when the planet Saturn completes it’s cycle and returns back to the spot it occupied when we were born. Here’s how Wikipedia describes it;

"Saturn is symbolically/astrologically associated with time, challenge, fear, doubt, confusion, difficulty, seriousness, heaviness, and hard lessons, among other more positive things such as structure, significance, accomplishment, reflection, power, prestige, maturity, and order – this is why astrologers believe that the thirtieth birthday is such a major rite of passage and is considered by many astrologers to mark the "true beginning" of adulthood, self-evaluation, independence, responsibility, ambition, and full maturation.”

Personally, the last few years have certainly felt like a spiritual Saturn return. I’ve questioned what I have previously taken for granted and reviewed and reflected on all my thealogical constructs. Attending Pantheacon, I know now I have not been alone in this. One of the real signs of our coming into adulthood is finally acknowledging that for many years we really were kids. There’s not so much carrying on about being “the old religion”, but much more acknowledgment that we are a fledgling yet rapidly growing religion, one whose strength lies in its wacky diversity.

The dreams keep coming, and the rains are back. This morning I walked out the front door to the dreamscape of a street and sidewalk covered in pink petals. Last weekend was an Aquarian feast, segueing into this Piscean diving deep and dreaming. One of the big news stories of the week was of an army chaplain relieved of duty in Iraq because of becoming Wiccan. Becoming more mature, becoming an adult doesn’t mean things won’t be strange and dreamlike. They are, oh, yes, they are!

2 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Great post, Deborah! The Craft as a whole, especially the British trads, are well past Saturn return. It's Reclaiming in particular that is now just past its Saturn return.

Also another thought that came to me - you believe the Craft's popularity has to do with diversity, but I don't see a lot of diversity within the Craft - mostly white people between 20 and 50 - though it is definitely NOT mainstream.

I believe the popularity of the Craft has to do with its sex positive attitude. Even other trads, like mine, that are sex positive, have limits set on the expression of that. Within the Craft, whatever floats your boat sexually is a holy ritual. Anyway, that's how it looks to me. I'm no expert.

I'm SO HAPPY you're blogging!! LOVE your posts and also I love YOU!!

Hecate said...

one whose strength lies in its wacky diversity.


I think that, as long as we can keep this point firmly in mind, we'll be ok.

I think the sex-positive attitude that reya mentions is certainly important, but I think the emphasis on feminine faces of divinity and on the Earth are also huge draws. At least they certainly were for me!