Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The Best Policy

At Samhain in 1999, I was part of thowing a magical benefit to send a group of Reclaiming witches to join in on disrupting the WTO in Seattle. The benefit we called “The Dinner With the Dead” and it was essentially a potluck held at the Martin de Porres soup kitchen. We created sacred space, shared food, and as we ate, toasted our dead and asked for their guidance and help.

Help us they did. We raised a bundle of money, and we were part of shutting down the WTO. With a few friends, I repeated this magic for three more years, raising money for various magical actions.

The last few years none of us had the heart or fire to put the dinner on, being disaffected and disillusioned by our local Reclaiming community. It was at one of the last dinners that on cleaning up I found out that the undercurrent of weirdness I was feeling was because the small circle of folks who put out the Reclaiming Quarterly had just decided that week to give me the axe as a regular columnist.

I knew this was coming, as the fights for freedom of speech as per my writing were getting fiercer.and more surreal. In one of the last arguments over censorship of my column I was told that my challenging “leadership” was divisive to the community. Re-reading my rather tame column on the move from the age of Pisces to the age of Aquarius - from the age of the individual being the hero to the community being the hero - this criticism remains more than ridiculous when applied to a supposedly anarchist community. But, that’s Reclaiming.

So, the dinner I’d worked so hard to put on for the “community” was filled with whispers and silence as I approached small groups of people talking. The group had agreed to not talk to me about their decision until one of them officially told me a week or so later. But, of course, people being people, it was being talked about. I was supposed to be being “protected” by the silence, but as most of us know, invoking a group to keep things quiet, usually does just the opposite.

Especially when what is being asked to be kept silent is fraught with controversy. One person had just left the group over it, and was especially upset about the mendacity of covering the decision of canning me by creating a new policy of no regular columnists. There were only two columnists, myself and Starhawk. Every issue from then on Starhawk’s articles would be featured, but no longer calling her a columnist allowed them to get rid of me without being honest. Creating a new policy to cover up dealing honestly with individuals is something I’ve seen done over and over again in Reclaiming. Who does it really protect?

So, after 3 years not doing the dinner, along with the ICT guild, I decided to do it again. The folks who are wedded to these old dynamics I no longer engage with, and also, I knew they’d stay away. The dinner was a resounding success. The entire room was filled with people toasting the dead, the novenas and sugar skulls added beauty, and the amount of food exceeded expectation. We raised a lot of money from donations for Cora Anderson, and the energy was in direct opposition to what had transpired at that previous dinner. I and others have been successful in disconnecting from the old energy body and creating something different. It felt great!

But, all around the edges of the dinner, before and after, that same energy swirled back into my consciousness, in a way it has not in many years. One of my guild sisters found out right before the dinner that she’d been lied to by the Spiral Dance Cell. Anne Hill’s accounting of what happened is written with breathtaking precision.

Two days after the dinner, out of seemingly nowhere, Starhawk called and asked me for mediation. We met and were successful in talking thru an old issue that has festered for years. It’s been great to clear it out, and we talked at length about our pretty polarized positions on what she sees as confidentiality versus what I see as transparent process. I can’t say anything was really solved or we swayed each other to the other’s position, but it was a respectful and thoughtful conversation. We even talked about collaborating in the future in envisioning what could make for healthier community. A complete turn around from the energy between us for the last several years.

I’m choosing to believe at this moment that the dead we feasted with at the dinner are actively involved in trying to help us. And my goodness, the world and Reclaiming sure need help.

Next week I go to a spokes council meeting for the witchcamps in New Hampshire. I’m hoping the dead are as of service there as they’ve been here for the past week or so. My vow is for honesty. As it turns out, it really is the best policy.

15 comments:

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

I had read Anne's brilliant (but sad) post about the Spiral Dance events. I must say it was truly disheartening.

Being geographically challenged (and rarely privy to the ins and outs of the Famous and Glamourous West Coast Witches), reading her post, and then learning of your own difficulties with RQ is dismal indeed.

I am glad that you and Star are finding the serenity and courage to meet. Such rifts, even for those of us who are unaware of such things, take an energetic toll.

May the Mighty Dead guide and bless you, Oak, as you walk the edges of truth, compassion, and wisdom. We surely do need all three these days.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

My goodness, I really needed to read this today.
I'm taking a couple of days off my usual mundane work to gather my soul back together and celebrate Beltane.
What is going on in my environs is much,much smaller than the issue you write about - but the principles sound just the same.
Thank you for giving me pause and a much more hopeful outlook on my own life!
Love,
Terri in Joburg

Kat said...

Hi Deborah,

I wonder if there is a solution to all this dishonesty in the world. Why people can't just be themselves and create a safe space to communicate is beyond me. Thank you for your willingness to help R and I . I look forward to seeing you....things are rocky and I am feeling made to believe (as usual) that it is all me. Always willing to look at my part though I yearn for balance in that aspect.

See you in December.

Blessed be....Kat

SonyaMadden said...

Wow
I don't the background to this story, nor do I need to. It was a compelling read and I was thrilled to see two powerful women came together and discussed plans for a stronger future community.
Rock on!
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Dear Oak, I don't know how you can say that Anne's description of the 2007 SF was blindingly accurate when you were not there. I was and her description is not accurate at all according to my memory. I don't know what happened with Macha and I'm not she she knows either, I get the impression from Anne's blog and her comments that she hasn't really checked it out with the organizers. My impression from dealing with the organizers is that most were quite new, overwhelmed, and many things were missed. It could all be an innocent mistake.

Ross

Anonymous said...

correction;
you said breathtaking precision, I wonder what my dyslexic translation means?

Ross

deborahoak said...

ross, as far as I read it, Anne described not the Spiral Dance, but the process around my guild sister's asking for a role, a smaller role being offered her, while meanwhile offering it to three of her friends and not being honest about it. To me , who watched and read the emails as this painfully unfolded..it is both blindingly accurate AND told with breathtaking precision.

Anonymous said...

Okie,

You know I can be found,
sitting home all alone,
If you can't come around,
at least please telephone.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.

Baby, if I made you mad
for something I might have said,
Please, let's forget the past,
the future looks bright ahead,
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

Don't stop thinking of me,
don't make me feel this way,
Come on over here and love me,
you know what I want you to say.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
Why should we be apart?
I really love you baby, cross my heart.

Let's walk up to the preacher
and let us say I do,
Then you'll know you'll have me,
and I'll know that I'll have you,
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

sometimes... Elvis takes the edge off. I miss you.

deborahoak said...

oh, shiney, I miss you too!!!
Let's face it - the healing power of Elvis is potent. thank -you, thank-you very much!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the dinner was a rousing success! I wish I'd been able to be there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Oak,

On reflecting on your post I think back when I have thought I have been acting out of the best interests...doing the right thing...and at times I have inlisted others into this. And I have sincerely thought it was the right thing. And it has not mattered that I have not had a wider agreement...just the agreement of those I consider close to me.

I have also experienced a related lie...that it is being more kind 'nice' not to speak out.
But my over riding experience is that it makes things fester and makes things much worse. It is a controlling devise. It does not allow the space for change and evolution. I have experienced how not allowing others their voice justfies my fixed picture of who they are and what they will say/behave. It traps me.

In my 3 years travelling ~ since a took a sebatical from Recalaiming ~ I have witnessed same/similiar patterns in other spiritual/holistic groups. I have witnessed my patterns in different settings. Reclaiming is not on it's own. It is not unique in that way. That was my learning.

I was not witness to the events. And I am reminded of the power of internet...and it being a new communication tool. But in the end I am heartened that people are speaking out....like yourself Oak. It deeply pains me to hear that others have reacted to speaking out/sharing/communicating.

This post like your other post 'Moral Compass' deeply touches me and is so dear to my heart.

Anne talks of mediation. I certainly experience how locked in and merged my patterns can be with my partner. So if i mutiply that over and over with so many people and throw in distance and different communication tools.

And where do groups boundaries end and finish? I had the experience when I was in the UK WitchCamp organizing group that there was no agreement on where our boundary was.

So how Reclaiming affliated people/groups navigate around all this I don't know.

Other than coming back to 'Honesty is the Best Policy!'.

Elizabeth

Johanna-Hypatia said...

I can commiserate on your column being dropped from RQ. I was invited to write an article for it; as soon as I submitted it to the editor, RQ stopped publishing and my article never appeared.

(((hugs)))

captain said...

I love you and miss you and learn so much from you all the time. Thank you for being you and engagin'

love captain

genexs said...

Now you only have yourself as editor and nothing is in the way of your words. I'm inspired every time I read your blog.

eda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.