Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Life is a Bridge

It’s been an action packed solstice season. After spending that evening contentedly feasting and conversing with some of my magical family, I crossed the Bay Bridge to go back home. Right after Treasure Island, the traffic slowed down and soon after my car became engulfed in noxious fumes. Several motorists started yelling “Lady, your car is on fire!” The moon was bright and full above the bridge, and the night was unusually warm. Everything was beautiful, except of course that my car was smoking to high heavens in the middle of a traffic jam. We all survived, the car included, but it was hard on both the nerves and the bank account. What I remember most vividly that night, besides the smell of my burning car, is just how exquisitely breathtaking the moon was above the city and how the bay was sparkling with light.

I was going to write so much more, but I think I’ll stop with what happened that night, because, really, what more needs to be said? Pretty much everything that has happened before and since could be encoded into the living dream of my solstice night. I have pleasant encounters with people I love, I've gone forward and gotten stuck, something dramatic happens, it costs me, and somehow, eventually, I go forward again, with plenty of slowing down and breaking/braking to eat good food and enjoy the company of those I love. And, through it all, the sun or moon is high above, and there’s beauty all around.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this blog: perfection.

Livia Indica said...

Wow, that's a a very positive attitude. Thanks for spreading some of that positive stuff.

Baruch said...

I'm interested in the death of the car as we know it...the death of individual ownership and ultimately the obsolescence of the internal combustion engine. Your experience, while of course being just one of those things, also stands out to me in the context of the car in general. I find that I take many seemingly significant or relatively insignificant events as portents and signs, as messages...so your car experience hit me on that level.

I'm glad you all got home ok! There is nothing like being stranded on the highway.

judy g said...

yes, i wish there was something other than individual ownership today, now that the car broke down again on the way home from napa yesterday...the goddess alone got me to berkeley, but no further....within cabbing distance so i could get to the screening of "the battle in seattle" (http://www.battleinseattlemovie.com/)moments
moments before it started...

deborahoak said...

Yes, it's interesting that what was wrong was that seals had broken and I was losing my oil. Letting go of oil and surviving is part of the living dream of that night.

I take ALL events as messages!!! It makes life so much more interesting and it's really the best way to interact with the multiverse.

The car was expensive to fix, and now something else is wrong. I may be giving up on the combustion engine much more quickly than I thought. Thank goddess I've spent the last several months getting use to walking as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

daxpftsSweet Heart,

For me, what glows through the smoke and mirrors of this particular mystery, is the power of the Witch to choose how to experience any experience that comes her way.

Oak, you are an inspiration, once again, to me. Your words again help to inform the way I walk through my life.

I miss and love you.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Heart,

For me, what glows through the smoke and mirrors of this particular mystery, is the power of the Witch to choose how to experience any experience that comes her way.

Oak, you are an inspiration, once again, to me. Your words again help to inform the way I walk through my life.

I miss and love you.

Reya Mellicker said...

Ya'll have Zipcar in SF. I bet there are many cars close to the house on York Street. I love Zipcar!

I live in a city where public transportation is excellent - so that has impact on the the fact that I have never regretted giving up my car, not even for one minute. That was almost 4 years ago.

Glad you got home safe and sound.

Cat said...

Glad your safe and sound.
The universe has interesting ways of talking to us.

Dreaming Stone said...

Isn't it always what you make of it - funny how it's sometimes so easy to see something beautiful in the midst of a problem.

Lovely, thank you for sharing.