Monday, May 05, 2008

amazing grace

It was almost exactly a week ago that I landed back in my beloved city. This afternoon I finally feel fully at home. There’s a barley risotto simmering on the stove and the smell of rosemary, sage, and fresh spring garlic is wafting through the house. Barley is very low on the glycemic index, something that is important if you have diabetes. Using herbs from my garden, it is on its way to becoming just as tasty as the arborio rice risottos I cooked in the past. If you are managing diabetes with diet and exercise, rice, for the most part, is out. This Beltane is a time of change, the barley being one of many.

I spent a lot of time today on my rooftop garden, weeding, watering, and cutting the herbs that would go into tonight’s meal. Amidst the plants and with the lovely gnome Chomsky presiding, I mused on all the Beltane energies at play. At Samhain and again at Beltane, the veil is thin between the worlds. At Samhain, the veil is thin between the living and the dead, but at Beltane, the veil is thin between humans and the spirits of the wild and green. Seventeen years back I saw a giant toad in my back yard amongst the foxglove and made a wish for happiness. That day I conceived my son. Is it any wonder I believe in magic?

On Saturday I danced the maypole at my friend Anne’s, staying well past when most folks had left. My son and his best friend had come with me, their condition for coming being we would leave when they were ready. I never imagined they wouldn’t want to leave. Anne’s daughter is a year younger than my son, and after years of ignoring each other, they suddenly are back to being friends. The Beltane grin on his face when he turned to tell me it would be just a little bit longer, and then walked off to the beach with a hair tossing passel of teenage girls is now firmly implanted in my memory bank. This is a memory that will always have the power to make me smile.

It was good to be at Anne’s, amidst those we have come to call “Remaining”. Cora Anderson had died early Beltane morning, her timing being nothing but impeccable. Years back, I had visited the Andersons several times with my Feri coven, of which Anne and Thorn were a part of. I can’t remember much of what Victor specifically talked about, but I remember clearly Cora talking about making soup. I learned from her that the energy put into making a meal is just as important as the ingredients. Cora was a gardener and a cook, and practical magic was her specialty.

This morning at her memorial, many talked about Cora’s pragmatic magical practice. Looking around, I noticed that the only people from Reclaiming that were in attendance were those of us who are Remaining, the very same people who I’d visited with at Anne’s on Saturday. Anne, Thorn, Medusa, and Macha were all there to pay their respects. Cora had become real family to Thorn, but for me, this was a simple matter of honoring an esteemed elder. Robin and Rocky were there too, a couple who were instrumental in the development of early Reclaiming, but, like the bulk of other seasoned priest/esses of Reclaiming's past, they no longer count among the small group of us Remaining.

It struck me that this was also pretty much the same group that showed up for Susan North’s memorial service in January. For all the talk in Bay Area Reclaiming about community, it is striking how unimportant it seems to be to honor the history of individuals who have contributed to and made up the "community". Feri is one of the strong strands out of which Reclaiming is woven. Without Feri, without Cora, Reclaiming would look entirely different. This seems to be another form of practical and pragmatic magic, this putting energy into showing up for memorials and funerals, ritualizing the fact that people’s individual lives have mattered. As time goes on, it becomes clearer to me that potent magic doesn't just happen in cast circles, but in kitchens and the small kindness of good manners.


The service for Cora ended with her son leading us all in reciting together her recipe for coleslaw which was printed at the back of the program. Then, pie was served.

Anne drove me back to the city and I spent the afternoon in my rooftop garden. I thought about Beltane, about my son, and about Cora. And then, I started to make dinner. Magic is simple. It is everywhere, and it is in everything. Barley takes the place of rice, herbs are thrown in, and I stir in a good helping of health and well being. I know who will be showing up for dinner, and I count my blessings that I have people in my life who show up.

Thank you, Cora, for what you added to this world. Thank you, spirits of green and of the wild, for what you have added to my life.

This morning, a bag piper played Cora’s favorite song, “Amazing Grace” after everyone had spoken. I can’t have pie, but the sweetness is still everywhere. And, it’s amazing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comments about honoring elders who've passed brings a mixed response.

In terms of Cora's funeral: part well could have been about communication. How was the information about the funeral "put out there"? The little I'd seen had suggested that it was to be private. I know I was never aware of date/place etc.

But as to the larger picture of Reclaiming community honoring passing elders (or elders period) -it's an important issue. I suspect it's partially self-generated by the immanent authority celebrated by Reclaiming. In other words, history doesn't mean much. Personal authority/experience means all. Add equality to the mix.....because equality can mean to some that years of knowledge/experience don't mean anything extra.

and so those that ARE history......aren't attended to.

We're not raised (as Americans, anyway) to know how to handle death. Not death of real people (as opposed to the whole teen-gothy fascination thing). And so many Reclaiming folks, are young. So life is more Beltane than Samhain (even if folks do the rituals of Samhain).

I hope your comments can help bring this to everyone's attention.

thank you for being there at Cora Anderson's funeral. So much of life is showing up, isn't it?

Cat C-B (and/or Peter B) said...

As helen/hawk says, an awful lot of life is about showing up... and damn near all of "community" is.

Community is being with. And being with isn't about identifying with glamour or fame or a certain liberal cachet,or any of the other superficial things that might attract us to a community to begin with. It isn't even about magic, in the sense of the flashy or the exciting.

It's about the magic of being with, and of knowing someone--or being open enough to learning about someone--to honor them through their cole slaw recipes, not just their publications list!

I honestly know Pagans who believe that only famous Pagan leaders and teachers are "important." As in, I know at least one Pagan who has said as much out loud.

As for me, my idea of important includes the Pagan man I knew who, when others were gathering to plan rituals for a community member who was dying, noticed that the dishes in the kitchen hadn't been done in weeks. The washing of that stack of dishes held more high-octane mojo than most of the Pagan world's dilletante's will ever know.

But without the showing-up and the being-with, that real magic of community remains out of reach for many, many Pagans.

Of course, the real community is always there, in the kitchen, washing up the pots.

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

Thank you for your beautiful and thoughtful post, Oak. I am glad you were there, and grateful you are the sacred witness for those unable to be.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for remaining, remembering, and adjusting. I adore you.

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Deborah Oak,

Thank you so much for this heart felt blog.

As you know, I have been to more than my share of funerals. The ten years, 1985 - 95, was a time that if I only went to a funeral a month, I felt myself lucky. The kiss of death was a constant in my Queer life. I remember going to huge fashionable funerals. I remember going to small and shall I say, bare funerals. I officiated at some of these events. I was a simple mourner at others. No matter what the circumstances, the magic was held by ‘those who showed up’. One of the deepest of group magics that I have been privileged to be a part of, was a funeral of a man who had been abandoned by his bio-family. He was a person whom the over-culture, on a daily basis, actively denied the most basic of common courtesies. It killed him. On the day of his funeral, a rough dozen of us stood together to honor the comrade whose ashes now dwelt in a homemade ceramic pot. To an outsider’s eye, nothing unusual seemed to be happening. It was just another poor faggots funeral at the hight of the AIDS epidemic. But, to this Witch’s senses, the Powers of Transformation, Courage and Endurance swelled and swirled, dancing a dance of life, death and renewal around and through the living and dead. It was at that funeral that I suddenly knew, as I had never known before, that my primary job was to live, and to live well at that, god damn it to hell. All of ‘those who showed up’ had a very similar experience. Amos had given us his last gift before he went on to the University of the Dead (that place that I suspect, we all must go to examine each choice that we have ever made in the life we have just finished).

One of the other things that I learned at this funeral, was that one can never know what gift may be given to you for simply and respectfully showing up. Not that I have ever asked for such a gift, mind you. I suspect that going to an event with such an expectation guarantees that no such gift shall be coming your way. I understood that this deep magic, these last gifts of the dead, can only be given to the living who actually attend the funeral, the memorial, the gathering of the living in honor of the dead. It is like so much of Kitchen Table magic really, it can only be experienced first hand.

Another thing that was brought home to me again and again through out this ten year period of my life, was that honoring the dead begins way before a person has died. It is not only polite and good manners to remember the gifts that folks bring to our community while they are still breathing and singing, it is essential. It is essential to honor the living as well as the dead if we ever hope to actually walk down the roads of a manifested culture of beauty, balance and delight. It is essential to honor the living for their good work, their creative gifts to the worlds. It is essential to honor the delightful pie, the marvelous coleslaw, the delicious barley risotto. It is the polite thing to do.

As we already know, funerals are not the only events that hold such great blessing for ‘those who show up’. Other high holidays of community, family and clan are birthdays, graduations, Wiccaning, reunions and weddings. I know that my own wedding was such an event. I know that my godson's birthday party in a few weeks will be another such event.

May we all dare to compassionately embrace the wondrous living and blessed dead.

Anonymous said...

Hawk, it is interesting to read "so many Reclaiming folks are young" because that is part of what Oak is saying. So many of us have left active participation. We no longer "show up" for Reclaiming.

Donald, that is one thing Cora had - folks around her in the last years of her life. We read stories, sang, and visited often, far flung folks sent cards and money...

Anonymous said...

Thorn, that is so good to hear.

Donald

Kat said...

I think I'd like the recipe for that barley risotto!

I loved this post. It speaks of things that are missing and so important... honoring those who go before and lead the way, and the practical magic that is available to all who are paying attention.

Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of Cora since I learned of her death. To me, the funeral is for those who knew and loved her. I honor her, since she is so important to my friends and teachers, as an elder. At Samhain I will call her name. I didn't want to intrude on the funeral.-Innisfree

Anonymous said...

helen/hawk--

The information about Cora's memorial may have been just a blip on the screen. I saw it on LiveJournal (victor_cora & Feri), on Witchvox, and possibly on Yahoogroups (Witcheye)though I'm not sure. It was only a sentence long. That's pretty easy to miss.

At the time I had the sense that everyone associated with Reclaiming and Feri was welcome because of the desire to honor and remember Cora, but that the people who had taken care of Cora were understandably in the haze that grief brings. It's so difficult to make it through the first few days after someone's death, even while knowing it was near, I imagine the thought of communicating more widely didn't occur to them.

* * *

I belong to Cauldron of the Valley's Reclaiming community in Sacramento. I've tended to view Cora as the community's grandmother, just as I think of other Reclaiming groups as siblings, and Feri lineages as cousins. They aren't all the same but they arose from the same generative spark.

I didn't go to Cora's service, but I did mark her passing at home by lighting a vigil candle, by making cornbread, and by thinking about her. I'm glad she's happy and free with her beloved once again.

--Meredith