Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Voting for the big picture...

Poetry has been the backbeat of the last few days, and I am still following strands to new poems on this mighty web of poetry that has been spun. That, along with the hints of spring that I see in the emerging buds on the fruit trees, has uplifted spirit and soul.

And, there’s that other thing. The election is today. Many of my friends are for Obama. Macha is wearing a giant button for him wherever she goes. Others are for Hillary, excited that a woman is finally being taken seriously as a candidate, or impressed simply with her experience. The last couple of days I’ve felt the excitement growing, and I’ve told friends from both camps how I envy them. Because I do. I wish I could feel solidly behind someone. I know whoever wins the Democratic nomination I will vote for, and maybe even campaign for. I’ll put my shoulder to the task of putting Hillary or Obama in the White House. But I still envy my friends who are ardent in the support of one or another.

I can’t get there, and probably never will. I am fervently praying for a series of events to occur around the election that will bring healing change and transformation to the United States and the world. Will I ever believe again in one great leader? I grew up with too many charismatic leaders who were assassinated and have seen too that the brighter the light, the larger the shadow. Plus, I think the time of great leaders is over.

So, no matter who I actually vote for, I’m not at this moment putting myself behind anything except praying for an outcome that will serve positive change. And when I say praying, I mean that thing we witches do of interfacing with the elements and the Mysterious Ones and asking for the energies of life to come into alignment with our vision or will. I’ve learned by experience to be both specific and broad in my spellcasting. What I truly want is neither Obama or Hilary, it’s healthcare for all, peace on earth, everyone fed, a sustainable relationship with nature, and a graceful transformation from empire to a collaborative nation amongst collaborative nations.

As I look out the living room window at the buds which are barely visible on the branches, I breathe into the possibility of gentle yet profound change. I feel it in the air and amongst the growing green. Tonight, whoever wins, I will be for them. But my prayers are bigger.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your feelings so candidly. It is good to hear that other witches besides myself are feeling that stirring of hope with this coming election and the coming season. Perhaps there are whispers of deity in that feeling.

Anonymous said...

I look at this Clinton/Obama contest with small enthusiam. If either one wins the presidency, then things ought to improve over what we've gone through during the Bush regime.

But the bigger changes are not likely to result from politics as we've come to know them. Bigger changes will come from other powers, ones that we witches know--and work with--better than many other folks.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get behind either, really. The only tipping point for me was Clinton's vote on the Iraq war and then her subsequent lameness in saying "Oh, they lied to us!" Like that is what we need in someone who will be Commander in Chief, like it or not.

And Obama is namby pamby.

But anything has to be better than what we have now. Except maybe Huckabee, McCain et al.

- Thorn

goatman said...

Yes, a gentle change is what we need; or a change to gentle would work as well.
I frankly, am tired of making do with an uninspired leader in , now, a hated country!
Your words are heard.

Reya Mellicker said...

Just today I told someone that I'm not sure I'll ever fall in love with a presidential candidate ever again. I do like Hillary for president, but I'll be fine voting for either one of them.

The best thing about this election is that the two Democratic front runners are a woman and a black man. Finally, we've made it into reality. That's a big deal.

Anonymous said...

Deborah-

sorry to contact you this way-
but could not find an email address for you.

I thought the upcoming exhibit MAKE ART STOP AIDS at UCLA might be a good fit for your blog!

Please also forward to your friends and contacts who are interested in the realms of LGBT activism and/or the fine arts!



SF artists Daniel Goldstein and John Kapellas have created a

7' tall human figure made of 300 AIDS medication bottles and 139

syringes. Suspended in midair the piece is at the center of

the new international exhibition MAKE ART STOP AIDS ,

opening at the Fowler Museum, UCLA on Feb 23rd.



The show will tour museums in Brazil, S. Africa and India over the next two years.



For more information and hi-res images contact

jason@goldsteinkapellas.com

tel: 415-760-6970



View the artists' international body of work at

www.goldsteinkapellas.com



Thanks!



Jason