Thursday, May 17, 2007

Everything Comes To An End



I found out yesterday that Jerry Falwell had died and I felt this sense of ebullience. I hate to admit it, but I felt excited. I know it’s not very spiritual, but it kind of made my day.”

This is what another therapist, a close friend and colleague of mine, said to me today. He is by no means alone in his sentiments, many are feeling the same way, myself included.

Jerry Falwell has been the voice of hate and vitriol for the religious right for many years. I am the epitome of everything he despised. I am queer, feminist, left wing, and a witch. My colleague is a tranny, a gentle gender outlaw that Reverend Falwell would have abhorred. To him, we were both to blame for what happened on September 11th, 2001. He would be happy, excited, and somewhat ebullient to hear of people like ourselves dying, preferably in ways where we suffered greatly. He certainly believed if we didn’t suffer in this life, we’d be damned unhappy in the next.

It makes sense that so many of us are feeling happy he is dead. In Freak Nation, and amongst progressive folks, there is a mighty cry equaling the Munchkin’s joyous “Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead”. There is relief that one less powerful hatemonger is among us. But, it also feels uncomfortable to some, and like my colleague said, not “spiritual” to be so relieved.


Retaliation has always been part of the human experience. “An eye for an eye” is much more the human condition than “turn the other cheek”. This is why I’ve perversely found “Have another pretzel, motherfucker” one of my all time favorite signs at a protest. I would never carry such a sign, but I sure enjoyed seeing it. We may preach love, peace, and non-violence, but there is something in most of us that rejoices when someone who has caused pain gets theirs. There is a place for acknowledging it, and especially with humor, that magic elixir.


And yet.
It is also part of the human condition to try to rise above this, to attempt to come from love. The god Rev. Falwell worshipped may be skilled in the ability to smote and jealous as all get out, but his son was all about forgiveness. He was the King of Peace, and our Goddess charges us that love is the law. What does it mean to obey this law, and to also own the authenticity of our relief? Almost all of those I know who are savoring the passing of this hatemonger are people who try their best to be kind, who value love over hate. How do we embrace the complexities of our feelings at such a passing?


We hate Jerry Falwell
because he hates so much, because his litany is not about kindness and acceptance, but about retaliation and revenge. The paradox of this is also part of being human. Paradox is the heart of the Craft, it is what lies in the center of every cast circle. Holding both light and shadow as sacred is an integral part of being a witch. Embracing and loving both is the work of a lifetime. In loving both, we rise to the Goddess's charge. Throw in a little mirth, and our reverence increases.

For me, this death serves to remind that everything passes. Regimes fall, and powerful hatemongers die. Everything comes to an end. Even wars. Today I am breathing into that, and knowing on both the biggest scale, and the smallest, the turn of the wheel can bring comfort. Turn wheel, turn!

Postscript and on another paradoxical note: My friend Japhet recently blogged about the strange fact that He Who Should Eat More Pretzels just decreed May 1st "National Loyalty Day". How bizarre is that? The one day of the year that it's almost sacred to break vows of monogamy and get wild...it's now our National Day of Loyalty. The head is shaking with disbelief. Can things get any weirder?

12 comments:

Beth Owl's Daughter said...

Oh, Oak! I love it! This picture is worth 1,000 words!

My own reaction to the news was instantaneous! I cackled with glee, not because I hated him or wanted him dead, per se, but because of the BIG, delicious *surprise* he's going to get when he crosses over!

In complete innocence and all sincerity I wish him what I wish us all: May the big, beautiful arms of the Goddess, the Gods and all our Divine and Mysterious Ones embrace and engulf him completely for all eternity!

Heh, heh!

Love,
Beth Owl

steward said...

And maybe he won't get a surprise.

Maybe we get the afterlife we expect.

And wouldn't that be the best of all things on thisherespiritualauthority thingamabobby?

Johanna-Hypatia said...

"Loyalty Day" was invented by anticommunists to counter the international workers' holiday on May 1. Which is kind of ironic since it commemorates American workers, the Haymarket Strike in Chicago.

Well, Margaret Atwood had the last word in the Handmaid's Tale...

"It's all right. It's Mayday."

Anonymous said...

As Johanna says, Loyalty Day is not new.
http://yezida.livejournal.com/2007/05/02/

And I was made very uncomfortable by all the dancing on graves comments made the day Jerry Falwell died.

Jason Pitzl-Waters did the best commentary, I think.
http://www.wildhunt.org/2007/05/jerry-falwell-has-gone-to-heaven.html

Faerose said...

I think its natural and normal to feel relief at the passing of something that caused distress and bitterness in ones life.

I also thing it is possible to separate the man from his mission. We can rejoice without any guilt that his message has passed, and yet we can also feel compassion for his humanity, and a lost, poisoned life.

IMO we do indeed get the after-life that we create for ourselves. But this creation is made up of the way we live our life. Our life is an expression of our belief – and that is what is experienced when confronted by Source.

Magda xx

Lyra said...

Excellent picture, I have to say. Is it curious that I read the news of Falwell's death on the same day as a New York Times article about Wiccans being stuck in the 'broom closet'?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/us/16wiccan.html?em&ex=1179547200&en=f57fae5619130733&ei=5087%0A
NYTimes' article seems a little under-researched and malnourished, from my perspective at least, but with the gentle slide of the religious right in progress, maybe some of those terrified Pagans will step out a little more.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but when we heard of Jerry Falwell's death on the early morning radio news, the first phrase which went through my mind was "Ding-Dong, the Witch is dead."
...I think it was perhaps a really strong meme at that moment.
Love,
Terri in Joburg

Feral Cat Protection Agency said...

he wanted me and some teletubby dead . he was real hateful. he will NOT be missed.

Anonymous said...

Oak, this is a beautiful, well-reasoned entry. I really enjoyed reading your take on Falwell's death. Over here in the UK he is far less known, but known to those in society who have a need to watch out for hate figures - gay people, many pagans, to name but two groups. I have long reeled in disbelief whenever I have read of his pronouncements. He came not from love, that's for sure, and yes, I was initially happy to see him go but then I thought, no, there is no fruit gained from cultivating that bitter tree in my heart. So I let go. He was easy to target - as easy as those he chose to aim at - but he was not alone and his passing does not mean an end to bigotry. Others carry that vile torch, and the only way to fight hate is, ultimately, with love.

I recall you saying how it is impossible to legislate against love, that in trying to do so people look petty, malign. How true those words were then, and how true now. Worth remembering when we think of Falwell and his legacy, which is not only a hateful one for his hatred made many rally together who otherwise may have remained apart, joining forces as communities to take on him and his kind. So there's good to be found if we look, sometimes hard, sometimes long, but yes. There is always some good. x

captain said...

There is a big celebratory event in San Fran this weekend to celebrate his death. I too was happy that that energy of hate is gone. I am trying to figure out the piece about compassion.

Can't wait to see you!
Yipee

Faerose said...

Ummm every end, has a new beginning....* holds out hopefully for the next post* :)

Unknown said...

Hi There-
I am so glad that you visited my blog because I got to find yours!!!
Right on with this post...I couldn't agree me!
I can't wait to read more of your blog.
Cheers~
Tori