Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Global Orgasm

Our first night in New York, my girlfriend made a beeline with me in tow to Katz’s Deli, where she introduced me to half sour pickles, and I did my best to finish a pastrami sandwich of gargantuan proportions. Then we hit the streets again. New York is a city for walking, and walk we did.

We found ourselves soon at Toys in Babeland, a much better feeling place than Good Vibrations. There’s something to be said for a sex-toy store that is completely woman owned and run. It was a perfect place to spread the word about GlobalOrgasm.org. The store clerks there got quite exited and swore that they would be spreading the word. I’m glad, as this is a magical endeavor of proportions bigger than the sandwich I was busy digesting.

It could be argued that all magic IS sex magic, as all magic involves the life force, which is inherently sexual. Given that, magic that literally uses sex packs a powerful punch, and tends to be effective. A call to action to have people around the globe orgasm on the same day while invoking peace is a call I have to answer. This really could work. This call enlists a snappy little video, a smart website, scientists measuring the impact, and even its own melodious instrumental. Heck, this call to action is one classy call.

But then, it’s a call put out by the same folks who started Baring Witness, which has people all over the world spelling out invocations of peace in both word and symbol. Buck Naked. Naked people on beaches and in parks, coming together, taking their clothes off and becoming part of a potent spell. Who hasn’t by now run across a poster, card, or calendar with the brilliant photographs of Baring Witness? Each time it’s happened, it’s gotten more media coverage than most peace marches, and according to my friends who’ve participated, its loads more fun. Baring Witness is great magic, getting bunches of folks sky-clad and spelling out a spell of peace, one which then inspires with it’s photographic images.

Walking back to Aurora’s (our friendship a gift of Spiral Heart witchcamp) co-op apartment, I thought about how some of the best magical acts are done by those who don’t define themselves as witches or magicians. J and I laughed and laughed about taking GlobalOrgasm to Babes in Toyland. We felt so thankful to be in New York, a city which truly never sleeps, which is always awake and alive with human possibility. My hope and prayer is that on Friday, December 22nd, we all participate in raising the most ancient and natural cone of power, and we raise it for peace. Come, all ye faithful, come. Peace on Earth might just depend on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now this was a very amusing read in many respects, thank you!

I hope I can count on your vote in the 2006 Weblog Awards - yes, out of thousands of sites nominated, a queer pagan poet has made it through into the top ten finalists for Best UK Blog. Incredible! I'm still in shock... When voting commences today, there will be a direct link through from the badge currently sitting on my site. At the moment, it just points to the awards site in general.

Voting starts today and you can vote every day throughout, as they set it up that way to help sites with lower-volume traffic!

Just don’t ask me to kiss any babies. :-) x

Memory Echoes said...

I heard about this on LiveJournal and decided I was absolutely on board with it.

Can't think of a better way to mix activism and magic. ;-)